Video on one display, controls on another?
I'm guessing that this isn't possible, but I thought I'd ask anyways just in case it was.

I'm currently planning a two-display system for the living room. One display would be the TV, and the other is a multitouch table that I'm in the process of building. What I'm wondering is, would it be possible to launch XBMC on the multitouch table, select the video I want to watch, and have just the video displayed on the TV? Meanwhile having the controls remain on the table?

I was planning on using Windows, but if some graphical hackery under Linux will enable this, I'd be open to using that too!
You could use the web interface?
http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=The_Web_Interface

Would love to see your multitouch table.. is there a project page?
nuigroup maybe?
I actually did see the Web Interface, which is pretty nifty. However, there were a few skins (ones that I don't think I could recreate easily in the web interface) I saw that sort of sparked my idea to use some sort of giant touch table2. I guess a good example would be the Aeon skin in movie poster wall mode. Being able to pan through that by touch would be pretty cool. I suppose my two other options before going AJAX would be either cloning the display or using something simple like VNC. But I'm really, really hoping someone out there can help me with this!

Unfortunately I don't have a project page for it, since I'm working on it in fits and starts. I guess having a project log might encourage me to be more serious about it, but part of it is that I set aside a small portion of money each month to work on it (don't want to go overboard, after all). Once I reach the limit I have to stop work!

I can tell you a bit about it though. It's based off a table similar to one that can be found at Ikea, with a glass top in place (which I'm replacing with acrylic, just to keep my options open). The IR sources are two laser diodes with line lenses. The camera is a hacked PS3. Yep, both of these components were inspired by what I found on nuigroup. The image source is actually a home-built 1280 x 800 projector, which I worked on after studying LumenLabs a bit. The projector isn't all that bright, but considering it's enclosed by the table (there are baffled vents to minimize light) it looks all right. It'll be powered by an E8500 on an Intel DG45ID; haven't decided on the graphics card yet, but I'm aiming for this entire setup to be passively cooled (the only additional fan being a 120mm that I'll be installing in the bottom of the table). I'll probably stick in a laptop hard drive for a little local storage. The reason for the processing power is because I'll be using it to convert videos as well (most of my storage is going to be on an entirely different system, I figure a home-built NAS based around a DG45FC and a spare Celeron 430 I have lying around). I figured it might also be good for playing computer games too Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Video on one display, controls on another?0