Will XBMC ever support a bootable htpc?
Sorry didn't know how to word the question of the thread

I like how apple tv is like all stand alone media players whereas it boots within seconds and switches with just a press of the remote. I wonder if there are any htpc that you can build that boot within seconds directly into xbmc and switch off instantly like with the apple tv. I would go for an atv but they only support 720p and I want to play 1080p. I really like the kalaidiscape dvd system as it boots up within seconds does what apple tv does but better with it's amazing cover art GUI. I just wander if a htpc like this can be built for XBMC doing what I have asked?

I would like to hear your views on this

Many thanks in advance
Your best bet, in my opinion, is to assemble an HTPC that correctly supports S3 standby.
Resuming from standby takes seconds on my machine and it achieves the user experience you are aiming for.
Many thanks for your reply

From standby will I be able to go in to xbmc and then shutoff into standby mode again? All without having to see the windows desktop?
slippy Wrote:Many thanks for your reply

From standby will I be able to go in to xbmc and then shutoff into standby mode again? All without having to see the windows desktop?
That's something I've never tried yet, as for me XBMC is still not a viable solution (due to smooth playback problems, but that's me and a bunch of others, it's not widespread apparently so don't be afraid Smile).

If you want I'll try to put the system in standby from inside XBMC and then wake up the system. I'll report back later tonight (I'm from Europe).
Many thanks, please put it in standby and try xbmc. I am from Europe as well!

Thanks
I am using Vista and XBMC. I use the sleep mode, but find I need to shutdown XBMC before closing computer, as XBMC often crashes on resumption from sleep.

Roy
If by bootable you mean embedded XP on a DOM, then yes, there is no reason why XBMC would not work on an eXP system as long as the right drivers are prepped into the build.
slippy Wrote:Many thanks, please put it in standby and try xbmc. I am from Europe as well!

Thanks
It went to standby with no problem, it resumed from standby with no problem. A matter of seconds, I'd say 6 to resume and less than that to standby.
not sure what your concern is... I leave my system on 24x7 ... the extra $15/yr to run the system vs turning it off is not a big deal to me and I run a C2D system.

you could even build a lower power system and it would prob cost you $10/yr to run it.
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
Roy47 Wrote:I am using Vista and XBMC. I use the sleep mode, but find I need to shutdown XBMC before closing computer, as XBMC often crashes on resumption from sleep.

Roy

I had the same problem with Windows XP and XBMC so what I did was to write a batch file to have Windows go into standby whenever XBMC quit and then restart xbmc when the system came out of standby. It's working nicely for me and I like how everytime it resumes I get the XBMC startup sound and logo. Makes it feel like CE device. Smile

Here is the simple batch file that I put in my Start Up folder. Works great everytime with no issues for me.

Code:
@ECHO OFF

:START

"C:\Program Files\XBMC\XBMC.exe" -fs -p
%windir%\System32\rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState

GOTO START
Livin Wrote:not sure what your concern is... I leave my system on 24x7 ... the extra $15/yr to run the system vs turning it off is not a big deal to me and I run a C2D system.

you could even build a lower power system and it would prob cost you $10/yr to run it.
Hmmm... a C2D, with multiple hard drives, on 24/7... I strongly doubt we're talking about $15/yr. Are you sure you've done the math correctly?

What does your system idle at?
Roy47 Wrote:I am using Vista and XBMC. I use the sleep mode, but find I need to shutdown XBMC before closing computer, as XBMC often crashes on resumption from sleep.

Roy

I had this but you can use eventghost to close xbmc when it detects the sleep command and reload it when it detects the resume command, works a treat Smile
ashlar Wrote:It went to standby with no problem, it resumed from standby with no problem. A matter of seconds, I'd say 6 to resume and less than that to standby.

Many thanks for testing this out. This looks like a real useful feature. I will have to work on doing this. I might use S3 standby mode.

konfoo Wrote:If by bootable you mean embedded XP on a DOM, then yes, there is no reason why XBMC would not work on an eXP system as long as the right drivers are prepped into the build.

What do you mean by embedded XP on a DOM? What is eXP?

I just really want a apple tv like device that supports 1080p and boots directly into XBMC in a matter of seconds like you've got a stand alone dvd player or apple tv connected to your TV. I was thinking of using a mini itx case. I don't like the idea of having to go through windows setting things up. I plan on using a thumbdrive to boot xbmc live.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Will XBMC ever support a bootable htpc?0