Plex Media Server Client in XBMC - Have XBMC support for Plex PMS protocol plex:// ?
I had a wet dream last night :-)

XBMC media server was running on my NAS. When I turned on ATV2, it found it through zeroconfig and was fed with updates NAS scraped in meantime. I was just to press PLAY when I woke up, so I don't know how it ended? :-)
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

i dunno any nas soullutions but you can centralize your library with pms and use xbmc as a frontend with harleys plexbmc plugin now.
RckStr Wrote:i dunno any nas soullutions but you can centralize your library with pms and use xbmc as a frontend with harleys plexbmc plugin now.

sure but it lack some important features, for example using Harley's plugin I cannot sort by last added movies/episodes, I cannot sort by year or even search for a specific movie....

XBMC really need an easy solution like PMS, Mysql IMO is the way to go, cause it's cross plattform, but at the moment it doesnt support tbn files even if you are able to stop/resume files between different devices, so you still need to scrape in each client to obtain same fanarts/posters etc

really looking forward for it
^tWiSt^ Wrote:sure but it lack some important features, for example using Harley's plugin I cannot sort by last added movies/episodes, I cannot sort by year or even search for a specific movie....

But the nice thing is that PMS implements all these things, so they can be easily added. In fact in my POC plugin, these things were mostly working fine.

I'm using it right now to stream "Due Date" to my windows laptop...

Quote:XBMC really need an easy solution like PMS, Mysql IMO is the way to go, cause it's cross plattform, but at the moment it doesnt support tbn files even if you are able to stop/resume files between different devices, so you still need to scrape in each client to obtain same fanarts/posters etc

really looking forward for it

I don't know exactly what the XBMC strategy is, but haven't they already dismissed the seperation of server and client? Mysql is nice, but it's a backend database, you need someone to write the wrapper around that to make it user friendly.

It's horses for courses - i'll agree that a Plex plugin for XBMC isn't the perfect solution for XBMC media management, but I don't know what the XBMC guys have up their sleeves..
^tWiSt^ Wrote:Mysql IMO is the way to go, cause it's cross plattform, but at the moment it doesnt support tbn files even if you are able to stop/resume files between different devices, so you still need to scrape in each client to obtain same fanarts/posters etc

I personally get around this by symlinking my client thumbnail folder to a directory on the file server. Works just fine and I only have to scrape the files once (on any of the clients).

-jingai
jingai Wrote:I personally get around this by symlinking my client thumbnail folder to a directory on the file server. Works just fine and I only have to scrape the files once (on any of the clients).

-jingai

does it work also if the client is an atv2?

do you have a quick link that explain it?

thanks

PS: NEVERMIND: ln -s /nas/share/Thumbnails Thumbnails

Hope to see in the future the ability to handle everything in the MySQL db
+10 for this!!
fidoboy - there is now an updated plugin for XBMC which allows you to access Plex Media Server, browse full media library, play media, browse plugins, etc

It's called PleXBMC and you can find more info here:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=733395&postcount=2
Thanks for the info hippo!! Wink
I just recently started using xbmc because of and add-on called PseudoTV. I'm at a very odd point in my relationship with these programs now, as I love Plex for its PMS and Library, but i'm finding XBMC to be faster and (most importantly to me) it runs PseudoTV; a program i've been hoping would exist (on Plex) for the last 2+ years.

Gratefully, your efforts are helping me migrate fully to XBMC (with Plex Media Server), though because of my fondness for PseudoTV I humbly request some way to integrate the PMS data into the XBMC library, as it is the only way PseudoTV will recognize all of my files.

XBMC has only successfully recognized two-thirds of my movies because of, admittedly, my own poor labeling. I simply don't have the time, or ambition, to re-label them all.

Thanks again for your Plex add-on and Confluence integration, I love these programs!
levarlaforge Wrote:Gratefully, your efforts are helping me migrate fully to XBMC (with Plex Media Server), though because of my fondness for PseudoTV I humbly request some way to integrate the PMS data into the XBMC library, as it is the only way PseudoTV will recognize all of my files.

Harley's nfo plugin will export Plex DB into NFOs that you can import into XBMC without renaming.
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

What`s the point of this Plex Media Server thing in the first place?

All i see is

a) A very limited metadata manager that can`t store local metadata in each folder in a specific container (.nfo or xml), nor does it store artwork, nor does it auto-rename movies and TV shows to proper names etc. Basically all that Media Center Master (one ex of a great metadata manager) does.

b) Transcoding support for iOS devices running Plex. What`s the use for this for our beloved XBMC, since XBMC on iOS already has support for H.264 inside an MKV container (+ hundreds of other containers and video/audio codecs). Why would you need transcoding for a box that can play all those files natively?
h264 is not the only format.
Check out my stationery blog- http://www.tailormadeinvites.co.uk
Here's some answers to your questions. Obviously it's horses for courses...

SpectreX Wrote:What`s the point of this Plex Media Server thing in the first place?

All i see is

a) A very limited metadata manager that can`t store local metadata in each folder in a specific container (.nfo or xml), nor does it store artwork, nor does it auto-rename movies and TV shows to proper names etc. Basically all that Media Center Master (one ex of a great metadata manager) does.

I don't see why it needs to - it all sits in a database and can be accessed that way. Not sure why you need nfo's and art sitting in the movie folders, handy if you are rescraping/reloading the lib a lot I suppose.. (or perhaps syncing metadata across multiple XBMC instanbces, because there is no central library in XBMC).

Quote:b) Transcoding support for iOS devices running Plex. What`s the use for this for our beloved XBMC, since XBMC on iOS already has support for H.264 inside an MKV container (+ hundreds of other containers and video/audio codecs). Why would you need transcoding for a box that can play all those files natively?

Transcoding isn't just about the container, it's also about bandwidth. It's really great that XBMC can play all sorts of formats on iOS, but it's pretty useless if the file you want to play is too fat to fit down the wireless "pipe".

Plus you need to jailbrake the device....

XBMC is a great player, but personally I think that media management and accessibility is lacking..

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Plex Media Server Client in XBMC - Have XBMC support for Plex PMS protocol plex:// ?0