Strange refresh rate in 8.10
Just installed the latest release to see if it help my tearing problems that have occured since beta (2?). Instead to solve the problem, it brought up another. I run 1920x1080 @ 50Hz with correct pixelmapping on my Samsung 46" lcd but when I start up XBMC it now changes to 92.17 Hz or something (according to XBMC's info screen) or (more probable) 60Hz according to my TV.
I don't want that! I want XBMC to run in 50 Hz or else it f's up the pixelmapping and resolution!

Please help.

//Albin
I think you, like me, are victim of this bug: http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/5307
Seems like it. I use vista though but maybe that doesn't matter.
What is the "quickres utility" ?
I can confirm that this is also the case for me Sad

I run my desktop at 1920x1080/24Hz. When I start XBMC it switches to 60Hz according to info of my TV (42" Samsung). Exiting from XBMC brings back 24Hz. I run under Vista SP1, gfx card is ATI HD3200 (onboard) thru DVI-HDMI cable... Another showstopper for me Sad

DP
If XBMC is reporting that it is running at 92.17hz, then your vsync is not working (or you don't have it turned on). Once you turn it on, you still may be encountering that bug that Ashlar mentioned, but you need to sort out the vsync problem first.
you can press \ to change refresh rate in XBMC. So if you have 24hz on your desktop and XBMC starts and changes it to 60hz. Then hit \ to change it to your desktop rate 24. and \ again to change it back.

Or Alt Gr + \ depending on your keyboard layout.

This is a workaround. The bug must be adressed, or at least come with a setting Smile
XBMC reports around 60Hz in my case. I have "Let driver choose" set in vsync. In ATI CCC panel I have sync always set. When I press \ in XBMC screen blanks than it's 60Hz again for me. Nothing changes...

DP
Hasselstrom Wrote:What is the "quickres utility" ?
It's a small .exe that allows to switch refresh rate, resolution, color depth through the commandline. I prepared some .bat files and invoke them from the remote.
dpassent Wrote:XBMC reports around 60Hz in my case. I have "Let driver choose" set in vsync. In ATI CCC panel I have sync always set. When I press \ in XBMC screen blanks than it's 60Hz again for me. Nothing changes...
That's even stranger and with no obvious explanation. Maybe in this case it could be worth a try changing drivers version?
ashlar Wrote:That's even stranger and with no obvious explanation. Maybe in this case it could be worth a try changing drivers version?

I am on latest catalyst 8.11 Tried 8.10 and 8.9 - same issue...
Just solved my own problem by removing the "-fs" extension in the shortcut. That seemed to somehow disturb the refresh rate or something. Still have to 92.xx refresh rate in xbmc info though. Have to look into that.
Most of the judder is gone now by selecting "let driver decide" under vsync setting. Anybody know where the vsync settings is in catalyst?
Hasselstrom Wrote:Just solved my own problem by removing the "-fs" extension in the shortcut. That seemed to somehow disturb the refresh rate or something. Still have to 92.xx refresh rate in xbmc info though. Have to look into that.
Most of the judder is gone now by selecting "let driver decide" under vsync setting. Anybody know where the vsync settings is in catalyst?
You are saying that by removing the -fs switch you now output 1920x1080@50Hz?
Are you sure of the resolution and refresh? What does your screen report?
ashlar Wrote:You are saying that by removing the -fs switch you now output 1920x1080@50Hz?
Are you sure of the resolution and refresh? What does your screen report?

Yep, solved it. TV says output is 1920x1080@50 Hz. sweet
Somehow switching to fullscreen in SDL switches to 60Hz (someone posted something about it in another thread).
Latest svn can do windowed resolution again (thanks CapnBryn) and as other reports say this will keep the wished refresh rate.
Next step might be a maximized border less window as optional fullscreen replacement.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
I can confirm - whatever I do - I always end up on 60Hz. This has side effect of me thinking that XBMC is absolutely AWESOME in playing CINEMA/FILM/24fps material in 60Hz! There is judder but much less than in same environment in any DDshow player without ReClock. Hats off and still waiting for solution Wink

DP

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Strange refresh rate in 8.100