Internal IR receiver for HTPC that can Power ON/OFF computer hard like button press?
Question 
[UPDATE] Several threads have been merged into this since this is operating-system independent and applies to both Linux and Windows.

I am thinking about building a HTPC case dedicated for XBMC Media Center.

What hardware mod/mods do I need to power-up the PC via a remote?
I installed a relay inside my case and wired it in series with my power button. My alarm for my house has voltage triggers and accepts x10 commands. So when it sees a certain code it triggers 12v for 1 second. The relay gets energized and closes the contact so it like pressing the button. I use the NO side of the relay to my alarm for status so it knows if it's already on. You could do the same with a plug in x10 lamp module and 12 v power supply and 12 v relay if you can get it to energize the relay for no more than 1 second.
I'm using an Antec Fusion case with built in IR. This can be powered up by remote. No extra hardware needed.
XFX nFORCE 630I, ASUS EN9400gt (512m), Antec Fusion V2 case, E6850 @ 3Ghz, 2GB 800mhz Ram.
Sony KDL52X3100. Integra DTR10.5.
snappz Wrote:I'm using an Antec Fusion case with built in IR. This can be powered up by remote. No extra hardware needed.

awesome! thanks man, yer a saint. Big Grin

are there other cases out there that can do this? does anybody know a case that does this and is made out of aluminium?

snappz, which model do you have exactly? or is the complete fusion series able to do this?

anybody got an idea if it is possible to powerup via remote with the OrigenAE HTPC Aluminium S16V - silver??
I have the Antec Fusion 430, not sure about the rest of the series but I would ASSUME they do the same.

I also had a MCE303 that I had powering up at one stage but it isnt at the moment. I guess it should but I dont have access to it atm.
XFX nFORCE 630I, ASUS EN9400gt (512m), Antec Fusion V2 case, E6850 @ 3Ghz, 2GB 800mhz Ram.
Sony KDL52X3100. Integra DTR10.5.
I have a Lian-Li PC-C30I A that came with an Imon VFD with Pad remote that has everything needed for it. I love this case, so it's unfortunate that they don't make it anymore--but I'm sure there are better cases for decent prices by now.
Wink 
paularms Wrote:I have a Lian-Li PC-C30I A that came with an Imon VFD with Pad remote that has everything needed for it. I love this case, so it's unfortunate that they don't make it anymore--but I'm sure there are better cases for decent prices by now.

Hi

I use one of these, i have my harmony set-up as a MCE Remote and i use this device, works a treat.

http://www.simerec.com/PCS-2.html - works out about £20 delivered
gerryyoung1977 Wrote:Hi

I use one of these, i have my harmony set-up as a MCE Remote and i use this device, works a treat.

http://www.simerec.com/PCS-2.html - works out about £20 delivered

That's pretty much the same setup that comes as part of the iMon panel. Works great!
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=40751&page=2 Wink
The problem is you need to buy big cases, or zalman / antec cases. (not "perfect quility")

If you buy another unit, i found a better solution Tongue
You could buy the XIR Pro kit, originally for the Xbox, at just $20, plus a few bucks for the programmer (necessary to reprogram the power button) and hook it up to power on/off a HTPC. It simply connects to the 3.3v standby power, 3.3v switched power, and the power button.

http://xir.us/xirpro.aspx
miamiwice Wrote:I installed a relay inside my case and wired it in series with my power button. My alarm for my house has voltage triggers and accepts x10 commands. So when it sees a certain code it triggers 12v for 1 second. The relay gets energized and closes the contact so it like pressing the button. I use the NO side of the relay to my alarm for status so it knows if it's already on. You could do the same with a plug in x10 lamp module and 12 v power supply and 12 v relay if you can get it to energize the relay for no more than 1 second.

@miamiwice, did you know that the X-10 "Universal Module" (UM506) is a contact-closure device?

http://www.x10.com/automation/x10_um506.htm

It's what I use to remote control my power button.

No relay required, just wire the momentary contact closure to your power switch on the motherboard.

@everyone else,

I use the XIR for my xbox and it works great. I was going to suggest that as well.

That is probably the best way to do it, as it is just like pressing the power button on your PC when you hit the button on your IR remote.
I have a router machine in the same room, so I set up lirc there as well, attached another IR serial receiver to the router, and when I press "power on" it turns on my media center using Wake-on-LAN Smile
waldo22 Wrote:@miamiwice, did you know that the X-10 "Universal Module" (UM506) is a contact-closure device?

http://www.x10.com/automation/x10_um506.htm

It's what I use to remote control my power button.

No relay required, just wire the momentary contact closure to your power switch on the motherboard.

@everyone else,

I use the XIR for my xbox and it works great. I was going to suggest that as well.

That is probably the best way to do it, as it is just like pressing the power button on your PC when you hit the button on your IR remote.

Yes but my HAI home automation board has relays on it, so i wired it to that so i can turn my pc on from my phone over the internet if im away from home, if i need to VNC into it to do something or see certain files. There are easier out of the box solutions. The relay on my alarm panel turns the pc on and off, and the relay i have off a 12V molex plug inside my pc closes when powers up and is hooked to a zone on my alarm board, so i can see if the computer is on and off (status). That way if i hit the server on button, and it sees its already on, it wont do anything. So i dont have to check everytime if its on or off. I dont want to accidentally turn it on, and the pc already be on, and have it shut down. This is way overkill for most people though.
A while back, i was thinking about giving my extra xir to a friend to see if we could get it to turn on his pc. Have you had success with that? And if so, what wire goes where?
I'm not really sure with the regular xir.

With the "pro" kit, there are only 2 wires, (and the 2 standby wires, so 4 total) and you just splice the wires in with the Power_sw wires.

As far as the regular xbox XIR goes, you'd have to use a continuity tester, I guess.

I've got a few extras in the workshop, I'll try and test it out for you.

Wes

PS If you don't hear from me in a few days, PM me to remind me and I'll post back.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Internal IR receiver for HTPC that can Power ON/OFF computer hard like button press?2