Internal IR receiver for HTPC that can Power ON/OFF computer hard like button press?
Don't know if it has been posted yet, but there's a small lirc receiver that is capable of learning a power-on/off remote code to trigger the power switch on the mainboard (it also can do WOL or WOR). I bought it from here: http://www.atric.de/IR-Einschalter/index.php (unfortunately the site is in german).
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Yeah but it appears that snappz has been successful in doing it without additional hardware - and it appears he has a similar setup to me.
MacLeod_1980 Wrote:I have an Antec Fusion 430, and I have a working harmony remote, how did you manage to get the remote to power up/down the htpc? Do you go into hibernate, or is it a full shoutdown?

I would appreciate if you could provide details on this.

Thanks

I have an Antec Fusion 430 and am able to power on/off the HTPC via my Logitech Harmony. By default it does a full shutdown. I have not attempted to change this behavior. I am using the IR/VFD module that is built into the Antec Fusion 430 case.

What IR receiver are you currently using with your Harmony remote? Is it the built in IR/VFD module or a separate receiver that you plugged in?

In order to do this with the built in IR/VFD module you need to:
Wire the Antec Case so that the wire from the Power button goes to the back of the VFD/IR module. And then take the wire from the VFD/IR module and plug that into your Motherboard. It sounds like newer cases already have this done by default. Mine did not and I had to remove the front panel (3 screws I think) to do this. Here is Antec's explanation (see the 2nd question):
http://www.antec.com/Believe_it/index.ph...Q&FAQno=24

After it has been wired you need to set up LIRC (unless you have already done this).
Dealextreme has this thing: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12902

Only downside is if you press the button when the computer is on, it instantly turns off.
karifsmith thanks very much for your informative help.

I am using the inbuilt LCD/VFD module and a Harmony 550, I guess I just need to set up lirc keymap to choose the right function - suspend/hibernate, when I press the power button.

I had this working on a previous attempt, but was unable to restart using the power button - I have also read other threads that people have had issue with using the remote when they get the restart functionality working.

I don't suppose you could shed more light on your techniques for resuming correctly with remote functionality?

Also, which command did you configure for your power button? And what settings did you enable on your bios for wakeup.

Thanks for the help.
bobo1on1 Wrote:Dealextreme has this thing: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12902

Only downside is if you press the button when the computer is on, it instantly turns off.

This is an interesting solution, but I would be more inclined to use this for powering off other devices, such as my sub... as it sits on standby. I am constantly trying to be energy efficient, yet also have full automation.

Ahh home automation, the wonders!Nod
You can buy that :
http://www.vlsys.co.kr/English/retail_mini.php

The Ir Receiver connects to the computer with a USB plug, but it has another connector that you plug to the power switch of the mobo, enabling to turn the pc on and off, as if you where pushing the power button of the case.
As well as being energy efficient I am also a fiend not wasting and recycling, therefore I dont really wont to buy additional components if the hardware I have can achieve the ends I am looking for. But once, again thanks for the information ppl!

I have to say the xbmc scene is by far the most helpful!
MacLeod_1980 Wrote:This is an interesting solution, but I would be more inclined to use this for powering off other devices, such as my sub... as it sits on standby. I am constantly trying to be energy efficient, yet also have full automation.

Ahh home automation, the wonders!Nod

I'd get a master-slave socket for the subwoofer.
MacLeod_1980 Wrote:karifsmith thanks very much for your informative help.

I am using the inbuilt LCD/VFD module and a Harmony 550, I guess I just need to set up lirc keymap to choose the right function - suspend/hibernate, when I press the power button.

I had this working on a previous attempt, but was unable to restart using the power button - I have also read other threads that people have had issue with using the remote when they get the restart functionality working.

I don't suppose you could shed more light on your techniques for resuming correctly with remote functionality?

Also, which command did you configure for your power button? And what settings did you enable on your bios for wakeup.

Thanks for the help.

Actually, I am not suspending/hibernating/resuming. I also don't have (or know of) any settings that are in place on the bios for wakeup.

If the HTPC is completely off, when I click the 'Play Media' Activity (which I created via the Harmony software) on my Harmony remote, the HTPC powers on and it takes about a minute or so for XBMC to boot up.

When I am in XBMC, if I click the Power button on my Harmony remote, the HTPC shuts down and is completely off (not suspended).

With the inbuilt IR/VFD, I actually didn't have to do anything to the keymap.xml to get it to Power On and Off this way.

You have to make sure your case is wired properly so that you can Power On via the VFD/IR. Are the wires from the Power button on the Antec Case going straight to the back of the VFD/IR, and then do you have the wires from the VFD/IR going straight to the pins on the motherboard?

Hope this helps.
I also have this case. Is there any way to use the IR and not the lcd? I would like to use the IR on the case so I can power off/on the pc.
Yes, you can choose to use the IR and not the VFD/LCD. Regardless, if you want to Power On via your Remote, you need to make sure the wires from the Power button go to the back of the IR/VFD module and then another set of wires go from the IR/VFD module to the Power pins on your motherboard.

I installed XBMC first and then started working on getting the case IR/VFD to work. There is a sticky thread at the top of this forum about getting the case IR/VFD to work. The steps vary depending upon certain hardware codes for the IR/VFD module. There are several guides out there but it was still a bit of work for me. Definitely check out the sticky post and if you need help with the IR/VFD, shoot me a PM. But I need to warn you, I don't know much and I did a ton of fresh Ubuntu installs before I got it working right.
Sweet...Ill go through the sticky forum thoroughly before I get started. I don't mind re-installing as I have been doing that the past couple of weeks with the P5Q-EM mobo. Thanks karifsmith. I'm sure Ill be in touch.
Thumbs Up 
No t had a chance to open the old box up and check the power connections yet, but today I just purchased myself a wireless keyboard:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6823166047

From newegg, with free shipping and a promo discount EMCLRLX27, it came to ~$70.
I got the LCD working on the antec 430 case. Now how do I go about setting up a mediagate mce remote using the ir on the case and how can i disable the display?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Internal IR receiver for HTPC that can Power ON/OFF computer hard like button press?2