[AppleTV] HOW-TO to downgrade Apple TV OS (ATV OS) to an older version using a script
Hey, thanks for that line by line, that's great. Unfortunately, I saw it just after I had already replaced my factory restore image with 2.2 (which worked fine). I'm just patching now, and will be crazy happy to be back on 2.2.

I didn't want 2.3 in the first place, but hadn't disable updates, and something crashed on my ATV causing it to reboot and load 2.3. Oh well, all is now good! Not only the black screen problems, but it seemed everything was a bit slower. Plus, my folks are coming here in a week for Christmas, and I can't see them trying to figure out "press up twice, and then enter twice" to back out.
Thumbs Up 
Gagarin737 Wrote:I used the instructions found in this .pdf:
Downgrade Firmware

From the file you can choose between 2.0 and 2.1. Other versions can be found here: Firmware ATV

This is really the most simple way to change the firmware. I copy/paste all the terminal instructions from the .pdf.
The only "scary" thing is that you will change your restore.dmg, so be carefull!
For me it worked great, my restore image is now 2.2.
So after a factory reset my firmware is now 2.2 and the only thing you have to do is to install XBMC again.
+1 on these instructions, very straight-forward and simple. I wouldn't be too scared changing your restore image, if you follow the instructions step-by-step, you'll have created a backup of your original 'restore.dmg' image, which can be restored at any point in time later.

This was a bit of a godsend for me as I was considering tinkering with XBMC for ATV, but wasn't sure. Since Apple's release of 2.3 screwed my AC3 only videos (no audio, long thread on Apple's discussion section), I was determined to find a solution as it's been almost three weeks w/out even a peep from them as to why this change/reduction in functionality was made.

The best part is, I initially had the original 1.0 firmware, so I'd lose a bunch of functionality rolling all the way back to that. Now I have esentially the latest and greatest of the non-crippled ATV updates and I'll be adding the XBMC functionality to boot! Big Grin

Big thanks to ALEXIS (pdf author) and Gagarin737 for their post, more helpful than you could possibly imagine!Cool -TD
Agree on the replacing factory restore firmware to 2.2. It wasn't hard (just follow the steps), and actually didn't take too long. My ATV is back to working great with XMBC! Smile
I've followed the steps exactly, and it seems to have been successful, only thing is ATV hasn't budged. What is supposed to happen after I've copy and pasted these commands in? Am I mistaken in assuming that this would restart my ATV? Or is there another step I'm to do after I get the "3 rules" bit? I should mention, after doing the restore and ATVCreator, I carried out your instructions on v1.0 . That is to say I did NOT hit "Update software" before doing it.
i have problem:

-bash-2.05b$ chmod 755 osupdate.sh
-bash-2.05b$ sudo chown root:wheel osupdate.sh
-bash-2.05b$ sudo sh ./osupdate.sh
./osupdate.sh: line 61: syntax error: unexpected end of file
-bash-2.05b$
SadSadSad
DzaroG Wrote:i have problem:

-bash-2.05b$ chmod 755 osupdate.sh
-bash-2.05b$ sudo chown root:wheel osupdate.sh
-bash-2.05b$ sudo sh ./osupdate.sh
./osupdate.sh: line 61: syntax error: unexpected end of file
-bash-2.05b$
SadSadSad

Yes, it's ALL in this thread. The script is broken. Thus, do the line by line, or replace the factory restore firmware... BOTH are explained... in this thread...
I'm a little lost as to what to do here.....

After this process is completed I get:

bash-2.05b$ chmod 755 osupdate
-bash-2.05b$ sudo chown root:wheel osupdate

We trust you have received the usual lecture from the local System
Administrator. It usually boils down to these three things:

1) Respect the privacy of others.
#2) Think before you type.
#3) With great power comes great responsibility.

Do I need to restart the ATV, or is it supposed to initiate it's own re-start?
Sad 
add to the last line of the file: exit 0
Fingers crossed that somebody can help me out here!? Upgraded to 2.3 (BAD decision) and now most of my ripped DVD's will not play audio because I ripped them all with just 5.1 sound. I want to drop back to 2.1 on my AppleTV but nothing seems to work for me - using simple Factory Restore simply reboots my AppleTV as normal, -/menu does the same (no Restore option). I have tried the pdf process to make restore partition 2.1 - no joy, tried the script to downgrade - errors, tried it line by line - it all seems to work but restore simply reboots as normal. No matter what I try to do the AppleTV simply reboots into 2.3 with the XMBC etc additions (atvusbcreator used after 2.3 update).
Is there anything that I can do ... or I can be pointed at - that will tell me how to force a factory restore (even tried -/menu held down for 6 restarts - still no luck). 2.3 seems stuck to the thing like glue.
Help?! Please?!
Thanks in advance
You could try change your factory restore to 1.0:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=247...stcount=24
diggedydog Wrote:Fingers crossed that somebody can help me out here!? Upgraded to 2.3 (BAD decision) and now most of my ripped DVD's will not play audio because I ripped them all with just 5.1 sound. I want to drop back to 2.1 on my AppleTV but nothing seems to work for me - using simple Factory Restore simply reboots my AppleTV as normal, -/menu does the same (no Restore option). I have tried the pdf process to make restore partition 2.1 - no joy, tried the script to downgrade - errors, tried it line by line - it all seems to work but restore simply reboots as normal. No matter what I try to do the AppleTV simply reboots into 2.3 with the XBMC etc additions (atvusbcreator used after 2.3 update).
Is there anything that I can do ... or I can be pointed at - that will tell me how to force a factory restore (even tried -/menu held down for 6 restarts - still no luck). 2.3 seems stuck to the thing like glue.
Help?! Please?!
Thanks in advance

Hmm, that's weird. The article in the PDF worked like a charm for me (you sure you're using the 2.1 firmwareHuh).
OK - I've now taken my Apple TV all the way back to 1.0 (with a 1.0 factory restore in place). I'm going to try one (or all) of the methods here to try to get it to 2.1 - I am thinking that perhaps my previous 2.3 was somehow "stuck" and so am hoping that an upward move from 1.0 to 2.1 will be more achievable. Think I'll try the script (line by line) first - and if this doesn't work then will try modifying the restore partition to 2.1. Fingers crossed.
The struggle continues..... Have AppleTV at 1.0. Have tried to run the 2.1 update script ... absolutely nothing happens!? Have cut paste the contents of the script line-by-line as suggested.... and get this:

-bash-2.05b$ sudo ./osupdate
2008-12-30 10:54:51.131 osupdate[199] Running on Apple TV 1.0
2008-12-30 10:54:51.671 osupdate[199] Requesting update
libosp.c:753:OSPSetLEDBehavior: illegal led value 1
libosp.c:753:OSPSetLEDBehavior: illegal led value 2
Shutdown NOW!
shutdown: [pid 203]
sh: line 1: /usr/bin/wall: No such file or directory

System shutdown time has arrived
Stopping network time synchronization
/System/Library/StartupItems/AutoBind/AutoBind: line 1: dirname: command not found
/System/Library/StartupItems/AutoBind/AutoBind: line 1: basename: command not found
Stopping Network Information Service
Stopping Apache web server
/usr/sbin/apachectl stop: httpd (no pid file) not running
Starting...
Done.
Connection to 192.168.0.17 closed by remote host.
Connection to 192.168.0.17 closed.

Sooooo - now going to try changing the restore partition to 2.1 - fingers crossed. Any interpretation re the error message above from anyone who can tell me what I may be doing wrong would be gratefully received. Had an AppleTV since day one and have never had any problems with the hacks etc - until now!
Thanks
I would download a new 2.1 image file just to be sure you don't have one which is corrupt. Here's a link to 2.1 - http://mesu.apple.com/data/OS/061-5044.2...5485-1.dmg

(A list of all image links can be found here - I'm using 2.2 and it's great - http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=970)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AppleTV] HOW-TO to downgrade Apple TV OS (ATV OS) to an older version using a script0