Adding Devices to ubuntu
Sorry for being ridiculous, I've looked around the forums and found these issues elsewhere, kind of, but could not get it to work at all.

I have a Dell XPS m1530, and I'm trying to get some sort of remote functionality with XBMC so I can control it from the couch. I've gotten the pulseaudio garbage out of the way, so now the program works perfectly, displays through my HDMI cable on the tv and plays video/audio perfectly.

I have the following devices, now I don't care which I use but I'd like to use one to control XBMC and can't get any to work.
Wireless Xbox 360 Controller
Wired Xbox 360 controller
Xbox 360 Media Remote (IR)
Dell Media Remote (IR...not sure on any specifics of this remote, its the little one that can be removed from the side of my laptop, it came with my computer)

Now currently I have the wired 360 controller plugged in and it's kind of being used as a spring mouse in Ibex. That is, the left thumbstick moves the mouse around and that's all, and Ibex did that on its own, I had nothing to do with it and don't know how to customize it.
The IR remote that came with the computer is linked to the media buttons at the top. it works on my music and volume controls and the arrow buttons on the remote work as arrows on the computer. Currently in XBMC I can navigate and select videos with that using the arrow keys, but not control the time of the video, pause, or any of that using those buttons.
No progress at all on the 360 media remote or wireless controller.

I tried using lirc discussed throughout the forum, but after installing it asked which remote i had to install drivers for it or the IR codes or whatever, and I had no idea which to select so I failed. So pretty much any help from here would be wonderful, even a link would help. I'm not afraid of terminal or the keymap.

I have Dell XPS m1530 running Ubuntu 8.10 running XBMC Atlantis.
Do you have the XBOX 360 USB device used to connect the XBOX 360 wireless controllers to computers? That device can be made to work with Ubuntu. Optionally you could troll eBay for an older MCE remote device for like $20 - it's PnP with Lirc IME. As it happens I just now got one of these for cheap. Dell sold some so did Microsoft. Someone got one of the Vista models to work too. So far I haven't tried the ones that claim mouse capability except for the Dinovo which rox - and costs.
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Adding Devices to ubuntu0