External DVD on aTV
I tried it, (commericial dvd). It does playback. It will do! But I noticed that the quality when playing dvd's from a normal player is better. But this is the same with copies, or even playback dvd files from an external dvd.
I know this thread is a little old, but I'm currently trying to get this working. When I put a commercial DVD in the usb dvd drive, NitoTV, Boxee and XBMC find the disc, but it won't play. I can browse the disc and find the VOB files, but they won't play either. Does this not work anymore? or am I missing something?

Thanx for any input :-)
macollin Wrote:-if you are on a PC use sharing to share your DVD-ROM drive (this is via SMB).

Also the 10.5.8 you can do the same thing:

Dock (or Apple Menu) --> System Preferences --> Sharing

Top one on the list is "DVD or CD Drive Sharing"

Not sure exactly how old this feature is but I know its in my current OS... It actually kinda knocked me for a loop but I guess it was probably added at or around the same time the MacBook Air was rolled out since it has no optical drive of it's own.

Does it work with movies? Does it work with XBMC?? I have no idea...

Dave
Wound Wrote:I know this thread is a little old, but I'm currently trying to get this working. When I put a commercial DVD in the usb dvd drive, NitoTV, Boxee and XBMC find the disc, but it won't play. I can browse the disc and find the VOB files, but they won't play either. Does this not work anymore? or am I missing something?

Thanx for any input :-)

Wow I didn't notice how old this thread was...

Well have you look at installing FairMount (on a Mac - maybe Windows too)?

It doesn't work with all of the various protection schemes BUT its worth a shot anyway. In short it mounts the disc in such a way where the protection is removed.

Check it out.

Dave
XBMC uses libdvdnav with libdvdcss for content protected DVD playback. Works in 90 percent of the cases. It does work, I know, I fixed the physical DVD playback as it never worked in the older versions of XBMC for Mac and all current versions of Plex.
basically using your main computer as a dvd drive.
on Mac or pc go to sharing and add share folder which will be the dvd that you have on your desktop. When adding share folder go to options and enable SMB and add user's password..... On ATV go to nitro and then network and select your computer and select the dvd as a mount point and save. You can now see the DVD in files,XBMC........ and play it. (you need to have SMB working to have this work(smart installer,1.0 recover.dmg in the documents folder)
This work around if you want to call it that. Was something that I did since I wanted to play a DVD and not wait to have it copied to my computer/atv. If you have a better way let me know.
I think it took less time to do that than writing this. Again this was something semi quick and there might be better ways of doing it.
This thread is quiet old, but i want to ask this anyway since i want to play all my videos and musics (xvid, h264, mp3 and other files supported) burned in dvds, and my only option is use an external dvd drive through usb of atv.

so in order for an atv user who wants to attach an external usb dvd drive and before xbmc can recognize the attach usb dvd drive, they have to enable the usb support in nitotv first? or is it now supported in xbmc and theres no need to do the nitotv method? This is what all the users said in this thread. could anyone give me any thoughts about this because im desperately want to watch my burned dvds in xbmc/atv using a usb dvd drive.
Asin Wrote:This thread is quiet old, but i want to ask this anyway since i want to play all my videos and musics (xvid, h264, mp3 and other files supported) burned in dvds, and my only option is use an external dvd drive through usb of atv.

so in order for an atv user who wants to attach an external usb dvd drive and before xbmc can recognize the attach usb dvd drive, they have to enable the usb support in nitotv first? or is it now supported in xbmc and theres no need to do the nitotv method? This is what all the users said in this thread. could anyone give me any thoughts about this because im desperately want to watch my burned dvds in xbmc/atv using a usb dvd drive.

You need to run NitoTv smart updater for USB support on ATV.
Hey - I'm sharing my DVD drive across the SMB network from my Snow Leopard imac and it works fine, but I have to share the folder each time on the computer, as it keeps the name of the dvd as the shared mount point name. Any way around this?

Would love to be able to add DVD to my main menu also...
Check out my stationery blog- http://www.tailormadeinvites.co.uk

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
External DVD on aTV0