Ubuntu 8.10 64bit + XBMC 32bit.
I'm running 64bit version of Ubuntu Intrepid and I have it all tweaked and set up to work with my remote, boot with my HDTV and everything. However XBMC 64bit itself is not quite stable: It totally crash if I try to play DVD folders, it crash in menus sometimes, it crash with Apple Movie Time plugin....

I understand now 64bit version is not stable in general because all devs work and debug on 32bit Ubuntu.

So my question is can I install 32bit version of XBMC without reinstalling Ubuntu? What kind of 32bit dependencies I need to install as well to have everything working? Other than standard ia32 package which is there by default.

If anyone can give me straight-forward howto, would be nice. Note I'm new to Ubuntu but consider myself experienced in Slackware which I'm using part or full-time since the '90s.

You know what they say: "...learn Slackware and you know any Linux!", so I'm sure it won't be that hard Big Grin
search the forums, i know someone's posted about this before. sorry i haven't been keeping 64-bit up to date.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Thanks, malloc. I have searched but found nothing before.

Now when I knew it's there I searched harder and found what you referred to here:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=33671

Thats all I needed. I use this guide now and install 32bit chroot'ed env. with bootstrap/schroot here:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebootstrapChroot

Aside from some minor glitches, adaptations and errors I now have this:
Linux htpc 2.6.27-7-generic #1 SMP Thu Oct 30 04:12:22 UTC 2008 i686 GNU/Linux

Now I'm going to install XBMC and see how it goes with Mesa, X sessions and Lircd Big Grin

Thanks!

P.S. Links posted to help others who might be interested.
Just be aware that we in no way, shape or form support running XBMC in a chroot, and it will be the first and only thing we blame if you start asking questions.
No worry dude. It'll either work or it won't. I may ask questions for this or that, but thats all. Here, I wanted a hint and malloc gave me one.

I do not expect you to recreate my setup just to debug some misbehaving API that causes a crash. I do not expect you to track all the crashes I have in 64bit version even, although that would be more natural!

So don't expect me to write HOWTO for others to run it the way I am. Don't expect me to provide logs and dumps for AMD64 issues. And I don't expect you to fix any.

GNU General Public License Wrote:...THE PROGRAM “AS IS” WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. THE ENTIRE RISK AS TO THE QUALITY AND PERFORMANCE OF THE PROGRAM IS WITH YOU.

Sound familiar? Wink

As a side note, I installed full Kubuntu inside the chroot, just to try it out! WOW - KDE4 rocks! Nerd
gbyte Wrote:As a side note, I installed full Kubuntu inside the chroot, just to try it out! WOW - KDE4 rocks! Nerd

I'm quite jealous, I tried for ages to get a chroot set up that would actually allow me to run programs in X from the chroot, in particular for the sake of XBMC, but alas to no avail. Hence I'm still running KDE3 exclusively on my main computer and without XBMC (nvidia+TwinView+KDE4 remains an unusable combination, so I'm stuck with Ubuntu 8.04 for now), while my spare-computer-hooked-to-the-projector runs Kubuntu 8.10 and XBMC on 32-bit.

Is there any timeline/ideas when things might shift towards 64-bit? I'm definitely patient, though, been running 64-bit for years now and it's amazing how much things have changed as far as support goes Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Ubuntu 8.10 64bit + XBMC 32bit.0