Placing custom video sources on the Home menu
Thanks to Player4 who clued me in to changing the video source selection in Mediastream. The below tips are more explicit, and improve upon his direction one step further. This is a hack, since you can only modify the existing Home menu options, not add news ones (at least, I haven't tried).

Version: Mediastream skin v0.99

Customize: Placing 3 custom video sources (Jack's Videos, Jill's Videos, Baby's Videos) on Home menu.
[Note: "Jack's Videos", "Jill's Videos", "Baby's Videos" are previously-named video sources.]

Copy XBMC\Skin\MediaStream\720p\Home.xml to a backup location.
Edit Home.xml
search "Videos Button"
change
<label> $LOCALIZE[31001] </label>
<label2> $LOCALIZE[31011] </label2>
<onclick>XBMC.ActivateWindow(24)</onclick>
to
<label> Jack's Videos </label>
<label2> Watch </label2>
<onclick>XBMC.ActivateWindow(24,Jack's Videos)</onclick>

search "Movies Button"
change
<label> $LOCALIZE[31111] </label>
<onclick>XBMC.ActivateWindow(MyVideoLibrary,movietitles,return)</onclick>
to
<label> Jill's Videos </label>
<label2> Watch </label2>
<onclick>XBMC.ActivateWindow(24,Jill's Videos)</onclick>

search "TV Shows Button"
change
<label> $LOCALIZE[31008] </label>
<onclick>XBMC.ActivateWindow(MyVideoLibrary,tvshowtitles,return)</onclick>
to
<label> Baby's Videos </label>
<label2> Watch </label2>
<onclick>XBMC.ActivateWindow(24,Baby's Videos)</onclick>
That works great!
I also made my logitech remote to run each of those separately.
Movies, cartoons...

Now I would like to know if I can modify backdrop image for those custom made home menu items?
marko-mb Wrote:That works great!
I also made my logitech remote to run each of those separately.
Movies, cartoons...

Now I would like to know if I can modify backdrop image for those custom made home menu items?

You can. Just go into Configure the System>Settings>Skin and set custom BGs for the original button, ie "Movies", "Videos" etc.

Quote:This is a hack, since you can only modify the existing Home menu options, not add news ones (at least, I haven't tried).

You can actually add new options to the Home menu, rather than changing existing ones. I haven't figured out how to add custom background images to the new sections yet however. I'm working on that right now, and will post the details when I know them. In the mean time, here's what you need to do to add a new section (thanks to Spaceman):

In Home.xml, find <desription> DVD Button </description> . In my MediaStream v1.0 it lives at lines 1428 to 1433. On the line after the </item> for the dvd button, create a new button, like so.

Code:
<item id="11">
            <description>My Documentaries Button</description>
            <label> Docs </label>
            <label2> Watch your </label2>
            <visible>!Skin.HasSetting(HideDocumentaries)</visible>
            <onclick>XBMC.activateWindow(videofiles,Documentaries)</onclick>
          </item>

Of course, you'll need to change the info, such as label, onclick, etc.
But, I successfully created a new section this way. I just couldn't link it to a background image, so I stuck with modifying the "Play DVD" button instead. When I figure out how to add the BG image, I'll post back.

I should mention that I'm using Plex. I don't know if it will be different on other distros.
Opensky any new improvements?
Did you find out how to add custom background images to the new sections?
the quick, easy, and ghetto way would be to upload your custom background to your xbox (we'll call it CustomItemBG01.png) to your Media folder in Mediastream. Then with the Home.xml, go to the spot right after this:

Code:
<control type="group" id="219">
        <description>DVD Background Image</description>
        <include>HomeDVDBGVisible</include>
        <include>HomeBackgroundFade</include>

<control type="group">
          <include>DVDBGVisible</include>

<control type="image">
            <include>BackgroundMidImage</include>
            <texture>HomeBGDVDMid.png</texture>
            <visible>!Skin.HasSetting(HomeBladeCentre)</visible>
          </control>
          <control type="image">
            <include>BackgroundRightImage</include>
            <texture>HomeBGDVDRight.png</texture>
          </control>
        </control>

<control type="group">
          <visible>Skin.HasSetting(EnableCustomBGHome)</visible>
          <include>CustomDVDBackground</include>
        </control>
      </control>

but before this:
Code:
<include>HomeRightOverlay</include>

The code you would be inserting would be:

Code:
<control type="group" id="220">
  <description>Custom Item Background Image</description>
  <visible>Container(300).HasFocus(11) | ![Control.IsVisible(210) | Control.IsVisible(211) | Control.IsVisible(212) | Control.IsVisible(213) | Control.IsVisible(214) | Control.IsVisible(215) | Control.IsVisible(216) | Control.IsVisible(217) | Control.IsVisible(218)]</visible>

<control type="image">
    <texture>CustomItemBG01.png</texture>
    <include>FullScreenBGImage</include>
  </control>

</control>
How can you use this for a second custom menu item? (when I have more than one, the image(s) overlap each other for just the first custom menu item, and the second (or third or fourth etc) is blank.

I've changed the id # to 221 but that doesn't help...

Thanks!

***UPDATE:

I've sort of figured it out....

if you have more than one custom item, then to have more than one custom bg you use:
Quote:<control type="group" id="221">
<description>AMT</description>
<visible>Container(300).HasFocus(12) | ![Control.IsVisible(210) | Control.IsVisible(211) | Control.IsVisible(212) | Control.IsVisible(213) | Control.IsVisible(214) | Control.IsVisible(215) | Control.IsVisible(216) | Control.IsVisible(217) | Control.IsVisible(218) | Control.IsVisible(219)]</visible>

<control type="image">
<texture>CustomItemBG02.png</texture>
<include>FullScreenBGImage</include>
</control>

</control>

Changing the group id to 221 (or whatever comes next), and I added the " | Control.IsVisible(219)]" to the <visible> tag... also, changed the "Container(300).HasFocus(12)" to match my second custom menu item.. seems to work great but I'm not really sure what I'm doing :p

Also, I just wanted to ask if there is a way to stop other backgrounds from appearing when scrolling past these custom items (you can see other backgrounds when the custom ones fade out and fade into the next menu item).

And what is the best file dimensions for custom bgs? I'm using 1280x720 but that is basically because of my setup resolution.

Thanks!
You guys have a little more info on how to get custom background on your new menu? The texture bit is not working for me...
I am wanting to change or add a button to the main menu. My wife has some exercise videos that i would like a seperate button.

Is there a guide on how to do this?

Running build 21374 with mediastream.

Thanks,
Question 
Hi Guys,

First of all this thread was exactly what i was looking for.
Anyway, does anyone know how to change the font on the homescreen of mediastream skin.

I made some buttons, but they blow up too much on hover, so i would like the text to be smaller on hover, or maybe the left blade to be wider.

Can anyone help me please?Sad
Smile 
All fonts and Sizes are specified in Fonts.xml

Fonts for Home Screen are in section:

Quote:<!-- Home Screen Fonts -->
<font>
<name>HomeMenuFocusFont</name>
<filename>TitleCaps.ttf</filename>
<size>30</size>
</font>

<font>
<name>HomeMenuInfoFont</name>
<filename>AltDefaultCaps.ttf</filename>
<size>28</size>
</font>

<font>
<name>HomeSubMenuFont</name>
<filename>TitleCaps.ttf</filename>
<size>17</size>
</font>

Hope this helps someone out there.Big Grin
I just finished puting together my 2nd media center only this time its a pc and not an xbox. i just installed the mediastream skin and nice as always, but theres no dvd option on the main menu. its not disable in the settings, do i need to edit a file to get it to show up or is this a bug with the windows version of the xbmc?
You have a DVD in the drive?
Hi folks,

I'm using the Mediastream Redux skin, and I was looking to add/modify buttons to the Home Menu (preferably add).

Anyone know how to do this on the Redux version?

Thanks,

SlickRed
*bump*
null

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Placing custom video sources on the Home menu1