Snatch Remote - iPhone App Problems
Snatch is a great pc controller app for your iphone, you can build custom remotes for each PC program.
Image .. Image .. Image
Image .. Image .. Image

http://hoofien.com/Snatch/

However I noticed for some reason XBMC will accept keyboard letters and numbers from Snatch, but none of the other buttons (arrows, enter keys, F1, F2 etc...). I sent an e-mail to the Snatch app creator asking if there's was anything he could do to make SNATCH more compatible with XBMC?

Here's what Dan (the creator) said:
Quote:I agree we should fix this problem and having Snatch Server work with XBCM is very desirable. I'm assuming that you are referring to XBMC running on Windows? We have heard from other users that there are problems with XBMC not recognizing various keystrokes. However, these are keystrokes that generally are recognized by the OS and by other apps, so I'm inclined to think the source of the problem is in XBMC not reading keystrokes in the proper way that it should, and not in Snatch. This is probably related to XBMC being a cross-platform app, so it might not do everything in the way recommended by the OS for that particular platform. If you are one of the developers or are in touch with them, maybe you could ask them about this? I could also put you in touch with my partner who wrote the Windows version of Snatch Server in case any of you want to ask specific technical questions about how Snatch Server does the keyboard emulation (I'm assuming it's a fairly standard way supported by Microsoft).

Is there someone who can help resolve this issue? I love using this app for switching between XBMC, Hulu Desktop and Firefox on my media center computer. Some of the XBMC iphone apps are great, but I'd like to see XBMC compatible with SNATCH as it would be a great all-in-one remote control app.
Anyone?
A few things...

keyboard commands work fine on XBMC, the probl is not likely XBMC. the dev can also use XBMC's event server if desired, it works fine too.

there are several XBMC remote apps that run on the ipod/iphone, etc. Some are free some are not. If Snatch is not working well you may want to try others.
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
If it's not XBMC then why do the exact same commands works fine in Hulu Desktop, Firefox, and every other windows application I've tested it on so far except for XBMC?

And again the letter keys work (A-Z), but for some reason in XBMC it won't read arrow key commands, enter, tab, backspace, F1-F12.. etc.

I'm aware there are other apps, but like I said this app allows you to build a customized remote for each windows program and has a launch bar for closing and opening programs. I'd prefer to have an all-in-one app to control my Media Center, the only downside is this problem with XBMC not reading some commands.

I also was using a Harmony remote before and noticed a similar problem with XBMC. It was the only program that wouldn't accept arrow key commands from the keyboard emulation driver.

There must be some sort of explanation for this no?
I don't have any problem, and many others are fine too, using Harmony remote with EventGhost - I've used both keyboard emulation & event server plug-ins without any issues.

Maybe the issue is your PC setup -not sure but you are posting a problem without any supporting information (logs, way to repro, etc), and not sure if anyone else here even uses Snatch... I'd never heard of it until you posted.

Try another app, like http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=53824 and see if you get the same results.

I don't have any other advise for you except to try other apps and see if you have the same problem.
Well the author of the app said himself "We have heard from other users that there are problems with XBMC not recognizing various keystrokes." So I am obviously not alone. Just because you aren't having problems doesn't mean there isn't any. Obviously not everyone has bothered to post on these forums.

And some of those other apps aren't having problems working with XBMC because they're connecting via webserver which is a different method than keyboard emulation.

Other apps that connect in a similar style to Snatch ARE having the exact same problem. Air Mouse for example..

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=44729

I tried Air Mouse as well and had the same problem. Ultimately I would like to put the author of the app in touch with someone from the XBMC team, or someone in the know of how this is coded so the problem can be fixed.
If there were more people having problems I'm positive we'd hear about it... people here are very vocal.

I was trying to help, I cannot give you any more help if you are unwilling to try other apps to see if you have the same issue. Simply complaining does not solve any problems and makes people want to help less.

I'm unsubscribing - once you try other apps to see if the issue is your PC or if there is something actionable you can submit I may check back in.

take care
Livin... I know you're trying to help and I appreciate that but it seems like you're not even reading and absorbing what I'm saying. How am I complaining? I'm simply responding to you with more information.

Your first response was saying that is not likely XBMC at fault for my difficulties. I respond by telling you that every other windows program I've controlled with Snatch works fine and accept all of the keyboard commands. XBMC is the only one that does not. Would that not imply it is something with XBMC?

You then tell me to try other apps, and I am likely the only one experiencing these problems. I tell you I've tried Air Mouse and link to a topic showing you that more people are having the identical problem I am. I tell you the author of the app has been contacted by people who have the same problem. There are people on his forum who have the same problem.

And I have tried other apps. Are you aware that those other apps use a completely different method of communicating with XBMC? So my results with those apps are irrelevant in this case. Most of those other apps (including the one you linked to) are programmed to connect to XBMC directly via the internal webserver. And yes those apps work fine for me and accept all commands.

Air Mouse and Snatch have their OWN server programs that emulate keyboard and mouse commands. Snatch and Air Mouse are fully compatible with all the programs I tested.. except XBMC. I tried on my Vista main PC, my Vista Media Center PC, my XP laptop. Same results.
+1

//if this post is TLDR, just jump down to the section below for "EVERYONE"

eQUIV, I am using Air Mouse Pro and am experiencing the same problem. I have vista 32bit with the newest v. of air mouse (downloaded yesterday.. server as well). The keyboard that looks like an iphone keyboard is able to input text such as username/pw, etc, however, the Air Mouse custom keyboards (such as the function keyboard with arrow keys, and media keybaord) are not registering with XBMC.

I sent a note to the Air Mouse support yesterday to see what they say, but I doubt it will be helpful.

I agree that the fact the arrow keys work with other apps but not XBMC make it sound like the problem is with XBMC, however, the fact that XBMC could accept keyboard strokes from the "iphone looking" keyboard makes it sound like the problem is with the iphone app.

I'll keep this thread updated with my results on the air mouse side. Any updates from the Snatch side? (snatch looks like an awesome app, didn't see that before)

===EVERYONE======EVERYONE===

Is there a way to map other keyboard strokes (such as W,A,S,D) to do up, down, left, right in XBMC? Becuase it looks like the keyboard letters work, just the arrow keys and other non standard iphone keys dont work with xbmc.

Also, Snatch advertises a PLEX remote. Aren't PLEX and XBMC very similar? Has anyone tried PLEX to see if it works with Snatch?
I also found this post by the author of the PLEX remote for Snatch..

http://hoofien.com/snatchforums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=106

He says it should work OK, but you need to add the xml that maps the keyboard shortcuts to xbmc controls. Can anyone explain this xml file more? Maybe an example, or where it would be located in the xbmc install dir?
OK, so I did some debugging on this, and I have a workaround for Air Mouse to work with XBMC, as well as some more information. (XBMC devs, please read behavior section.. maybe you know why this happens).

Behavior:
All keys that are not native to the iphone (such as arrow keys, function keys, pretty much every key that doesn't show up on the iphone keyboard while writing a text message or email, etc) are registered as an ESCAPE keystroke by XBMC. That is why you are able to input letters into xbmc, but when you press the arrow, it's equal to clicking escape on your computer keyboard. Can anyone explain why XBMC is registering these as ESCAPE?

Workaround:
This workaround is lame, but it works for now. Step 1, go to <xbmc install dir>\system and open the keystroke.xml file with notepad. Scroll to the <keyboard> block inside the <global> block and replace the whole keyboard block with what I paste below. Now, double click the air mouse system tray icon to open the air mouse setting thing. Click Function in Key Setup. Here there are 4 rows. Input the following:

First row: UP, 1
Second row: Down, 2
Third row: Right, 3
Forth row: Select, 4

Here is the new keyboard stuff.. it's pretty much the same thing, except now you can't use numbers 1-4. You can play with the keyboard configs if you dont like the ones I am using.

<keyboard>
<p>Play</p>
<q>Queue</q>
<f>FastForward</f>
<r>Rewind</r>
<four>Select</four>
<three>Right</three>
<one>Up</one>
<two>Down</two>
<pageup>PageUp</pageup>
<pagedown>PageDown</pagedown>
<return>Select</return>
<enter>Select</enter>
<backspace>ParentDir</backspace>
<m>ActivateWindow(PlayerControls)</m>
<s>ActivateWindow(shutdownmenu)</s>
<escape>PreviousMenu</escape>
<i>Info</i>
<menu>ContextMenu</menu>
<c>ContextMenu</c>
<space>Pause</space>
<x>Stop</x>
<period>SkipNext</period>
<comma>SkipPrevious</comma>
<tab>FullScreen</tab>
<printscreen>Screenshot</printscreen>
<minus>VolumeDown</minus>
<plus>VolumeUp</plus>
<zero>Number0</zero>
<five>Number5</five>
<six>Number6</six>
<seven>Number7</seven>
<eight>Number8</eight>
<nine>Number9</nine>
<backslash>ToggleFullScreen</backslash>
<browser_home>XBMC.ActivateWindow(Home)</browser_home>
<browser_favorites>ActivateWindow(Favourites)</browser_favorites>
<browser_refresh></browser_refresh>
<browser_search></browser_search>
<launch_app1_pc_icon>ActivateWindow(MyPrograms)</launch_app1_pc_icon>
<launch_media_select>XBMC.ActivateWindow(MyMusic)</launch_media_select>
<play_pause>Pause</play_pause>
<stop>Stop</stop>
<volume_up>VolumeUp</volume_up>
<volume_mute>Mute</volume_mute>
<volume_down>VolumeDown</volume_down>
<next_track>SkipNext</next_track>
<prev_track>SkipPrevious</prev_track>
<launch_mail></launch_mail>
<key id="61620"></key> <!-- same as above, launch_mail, but using button code (based on vkey id) -->
<home>FirstPage</home>
<end>LastPage</end>
<key id="65446">ParentDir</key>
<key id="65459">Play</key>
</keyboard>
hjmarkar... thanks for your research, and taking the time to read this thread. I was actually aware there is a workaround via keymapping. That is a good band-aid. I just wish there was an actual fix.

I've been in contact with the author of Snatch. All he said is he'd like to be put in touch with someone from the XBMC development team who can help him make the necessary changes to Snatch to make it compatible.

If anyone from the XBMC team is reading this and could PM me the e-mail address of someone on the team who I can put in touch with the author of Snatch. It would be greatly appreciated.
I'm having the same exact problem. Can't get Snatch to control XBMC at all.
Same problem here. Snatch works with the main iphone keyboard but none of the arrow keys or any non-standard apple keyboard keys with XBMC. Works fine with all other apps that I can find however. I tried to pinpoint the problem using Microsoft Spy++ and this tutorial but it's a bit beyond me.

http://www.vivid-abstractions.net/downlo...wf?build=1

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Snatch Remote - iPhone App Problems0