i fixed my 720p choppiness problem!
okay so i know some of you guys helped me when i was having problems with my smb playback with 720 x264 files

i was rewiring things the other day and realized that my atv was connected via component cables...i swapped em out to hdmi and upped the resolution on my atv..(with component my atv was only giving me 720) ...with hdmi im running at 1080p..and my choppiness is gone..playback is much much smoother

hope it helps

thanks to everyone who helped me troubleshoot
Wow, switching from component to HDMI improved your playback of 720p x264 files? Incredible, but it doesn't make any sense to me. Has anyone else seen this?
i dont think it has so much to do with the cable rather the fact that with component my atv was only giving me a max of 720p so it seemed choppy on that but with 1080p with hdmi it seems to have solved the choppiness i was seeing in 720

i dont think the cable is relevant rather just the resolution it was being run at
Hmm... this definitely shouldn't be the case. If anything 1080p would be slower since the ATV has to handle converting the 720p image to 1080p (although this is probably handled by the video card and should have minimal effect.

Going from component to HDMI shouldn't effect anything either since the the ATV will have hardware for converting the digital dvi signal into the analog component signal with minimal effect.

Might be a coincidence?
im not too sure - i just know what i did and what happened as a result haha
Maybe it's the way your Tv handles component in - presumably it has to digitise this and then output to the TV scalers/internal processing etc.
Same here.

Switching to HDMI, removed all my problems with not beeing able to play my MKV files!
Okay, I decided to try this for myself. I should note that I am able to play 720p x264 MKV files, but the playback is jerky. I have the AppleTV hooked up to my Panasonic 50" DLP through component. I'm not using HDMI because my nearly four-year old HDTV only has one HDMI input and TiVo is using it.

After hooking up the AppleTV to the HDMI port, the playback between component and DLP is...exactly the same. Jerky and, for me anyway, unwatchable. Ah, well, it was what I expected...
hmmm very odd that that works better for some and not others

maybe its just an issue of newer tvs vs. older tvs? maybe? i just bought mine within the last 6 months
KevinSartori Wrote:Wow, switching from component to HDMI improved your playback of 720p x264 files? Incredible, but it doesn't make any sense to me. Has anyone else seen this?

No!
Thank you SO much for this tip!

I can now finally view my mkv files without problem!!!

ravidium Wrote:okay so i know some of you guys helped me when i was having problems with my smb playback with 720 x264 files

i was rewiring things the other day and realized that my atv was connected via component cables...i swapped em out to hdmi and upped the resolution on my atv..(with component my atv was only giving me 720) ...with hdmi im running at 1080p..and my choppiness is gone..playback is much much smoother

hope it helps

thanks to everyone who helped me troubleshoot

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
i fixed my 720p choppiness problem!0