Storing movies on aTV?
Hi,

sorry for silly question - how can I copy movies from my PC to aTV and watch them on XBMC?

Thanks.
ernisj Wrote:Hi,

sorry for silly question - how can I copy movies from my PC to aTV and watch them on XBMC?

Thanks.

You don't need to move them. Just make a network share them on your PC - and then point XBMC at that source.

If you want to share high-definition movies, you'll need a fairly fast network.

C.
ernisj Wrote:Hi,

Thanks.

Another option: (If you don't want to have your pc running all the time)
Connect an external hardrive to the atv usb port.
If you have new content just unplug it from your atv and plug it in to your pc upload the new stuf, and plug it back in to your apple tv ubs port.
I have connected a 500 gb drive (Fat32 format for windows users) and it works fine.

Before it works you have to do some steps:

See: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?p=2...post248617

It's also possible to put the movies on the internal drive (atv) , but I like to have my original itunes synced music on it. (and the inner drive of the apple tv is verry limited, and today a external big harddrive is verry cheap)

Even an external 2.5 inch harddrive works on the apple tv usb-port without the need of external power. 320gb drive's are becoming verry cheap now, and have verry little noise.
Thanks guys, but I want to *copy" some of my movies to aTV as I'm going on holidays and want to take aTV with me.

I already have smb share with my home PC, no problems there, just don't know how to copy movies to internal hdd on aTV.
ernisj Wrote:Thanks guys, but I want to *copy" some of my movies to aTV as I'm going on holidays and want to take aTV with me.

I already have smb share with my home PC, no problems there, just don't know how to copy movies to internal hdd on aTV.

since you are running xbmc, /Users/frontrow/Movies will exist

scp <your movie> frontrow@<ip address>:/Users/frontrow/Movies/

frontrow is the password. This will copy the movie into the /Users/frontrow/Movies directory on the AppleTV. Remember 40GB or 160GB internal disk unless you have replaced it with a larger one.

If using windows, google for "appletv scp windows" and use one of the ref'd apps.
you can always use an SFTP over SSH capable program like FileZilla (http://filezilla-project.org) to copy files from your computer to the ATV, if you're not familiar / comfortable with a shell :-)

randy.
thanks guys, this is all I need! Laugh
I'm curious, when you restore / update appleTV or XBMC; at any point would it delete what's in the Movie Folder? Or are these always preserved?
WAdam Wrote:I'm curious, when you restore / update appleTV or XBMC; at any point would it delete what's in the Movie Folder? Or are these always preserved?

factory restores always zap osboot and media. Thus the name "factory restore" Smile
davilla Wrote:factory restores always zap osboot and media. Thus the name "factory restore" Smile

Yeah Yeah, I know -- I just recall how the brilliant and lovely Windows Vista preserves your personal folders on a restore and thought Apple may do the same.

Thanks for the clarity

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Storing movies on aTV?0