Black screen using HDMI
I have connected my Apple TV to the Television with an HDMI cable. Everything is working nice until I change to another video input and then back to the ATV input. The screen is the all black.

The same thing happens if I turn the television off and then back on.

If I am in the ATV menu or running the Boxee application this does not happen. (only in xbmc).

The xbmc.log does not seem to display any information when this happens.
Have you gone to http://www.notebookcity.co.nz yet? I think by last recollection they have a tech guy who also had a similar problem though I forgot what his name is. Might have something to do with the Mac's interface with Apple TV. I wonder if there's a firmware update for it?
I got the same problem and I made a thread about it.
I ended up using the component video input instead. That fixed the problem. I don't really see any difference in quality anyway
I can unceremonously post a "me too" to this thread as well.

AppleTV 2.3 (HDMI, 1080p), XBMC Atlantis, XBMC Launcher 0.8.

90% of the time, when I select XBMC, I get a blank black screen as it switches to XBMC. The program is running as I can exit it normally (left, select, select) from the main menu.

Also, when I press the Menu+UP command (hold for 6 seconds) on the remote to switch resolutions the display attempts to overlay the AppleTV change resolution screen with the XBMC screen flickering in and out.

This only occurs under HDMI, and as a snob who still has his eyesight, switching back to component and 1080i is just as bad as nails on the chalkboard to the ears.

There ARE times when it does work, it is not 100% of the time.
Hi,

I am using ATV 2.3 with XBMC and XBMC Launcher up to date. My LCD TV is connected via HDMI, the ATV resolution is set to 720p and the resolution of XBMC is set to full screen.

I have the same problems like the others above.

Greetings,

schloessi
hi,

I have the same problem with xbmc atlantis on atv connected to my sony lcd via hdmi.
but I can always get the screen back by simply switching the tv off and then on again!
I don't know why it works, but it does :-)

randy.
What you see are 2 different issues:
1) on ATV 2.3 starting XBMC may result in a black screen (as said in the release notes). You'll need to restart and hope for the next start to work properly. Sorry, but that's a problem we're currently working on.
http://code.google.com/p/atv-xbmc-launch...tail?id=15

2) if your ATV is connected via HDMI, switching inputs in TV or turning TV off, will most of the time result in a black screen.
http://code.google.com/p/atv-xbmc-launch...etail?id=6

Both issues will hopefully solved in the next version, which is currently in private testing.

cheers,
stephan

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules. If you don't have the time to read them, please don't take the time to post in this forum!
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
MaestroDD Wrote:What you see are 2 different issues:
1) on ATV 2.3 starting XBMC may result in a black screen (as said in the release notes). You'll need to restart and hope for the next start to work properly. Sorry, but that's a problem we're currently working on.
http://code.google.com/p/atv-xbmc-launch...tail?id=15

2) if your ATV is connected via HDMI, switching inputs in TV or turning TV off, will most of the time result in a black screen.
http://code.google.com/p/atv-xbmc-launch...etail?id=6

Both issues will hopefully solved in the next version, which is currently in private testing.

cheers,
stephan

Looking forward to a fix. I love testing and such (willing to go through the instability). If you want another private tester, PM me.
This problem occurs using HDMI or component (on 720p).
edge777 Wrote:This problem occurs using HDMI or component (on 720p).
"This problem" is 1) or 2)?
1) is known to occur on both
2) is known only with HDMI

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules. If you don't have the time to read them, please don't take the time to post in this forum!
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Thumbs Up 
By upgrading to XBMCLauncher2.2 the problem was fixed. I have reverted to using HDMI
Any updates on this...

I factory restored
re-install XBMC 8.10BF1 and the Launcher 2.3

still am seeing the black screen when I switch inputs on my onkyo 806 to some other input and back to the appleTV. Any help would be appreciated...

Thanks,
Sean
So I did a factory restore to 2.02 and then loaded the pathstick and XBMC again from scratch and for some odd reason I am still getting the black screen issue over HDMI at 720P.

Sean
rufrothy Wrote:Any updates on this...

I factory restored
re-install XBMC 8.10BF1 and the Launcher 2.3

still am seeing the black screen when I switch inputs on my onkyo 806 to some other input and back to the appleTV. Any help would be appreciated...

Thanks,
Sean

You might need to downgrade to Launcher 0.9. It works differently than Launcher 2.3.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Black screen using HDMI0