XBMC Update Notifier
I did a quick search and didn't find anything so, I hope this topic hasn't been posted already.

Does XBMC have a built in update notifier? If not can this be added as a feature? With all the progress the dev team has been making I think this could help everyone say updated with the latest version.

Sorry if I posted this in the wrong section or if this topic has already been posted. Smile
this would be great
quake101 Wrote:I did a quick search and didn't find anything so, I hope this topic hasn't been posted already.

Does XBMC have a built in update notifier? If not can this be added as a feature? With all the progress the dev team has been making I think this could help everyone say updated with the latest version.

Sorry if I posted this in the wrong section or if this topic has already been posted. Smile

What do you mean by update notifier? There are commits to the SVN constantly. You can compile XBMC at noon and at 12:01 it will be out of date, because a new svn commit will have been done. Are you talking new milestone releases, like how there were alpha and beta releases?
I'm pretty sure the original poster is looking for something that would allow users to easily find out about relatively stable milestone builds...most users probably don't want the absolute latest svn build...and those who do already know how to get it.

What would be SUPER-great would be a feature in XBMC that not only informs you about new stable milestones, but also lets you upgrade to them automatically (or choose "yes" in a simple "Do you want to upgrade?" dialog.)

If you are using XBMC on a linux distro (including XBMC Live), you can get pretty close to this behaviour already:

* the RSS feed (along the bottom of XBMC's main screen when you first start it up) appears to tell you whenever new milestones are available.

* you can upgrade to those new milestone milestones by sshing into a terminal window on your XBMC machine and running apt-get update and apt-get upgrade.
Xanatos Wrote:I'm pretty sure the original poster is looking for something that would allow users to easily find out about relatively stable milestone builds...most users probably don't want the absolute latest svn build...and those who do already know how to get it.

What would be SUPER-great would be a feature in XBMC that not only informs you about new stable milestones, but also lets you upgrade to them automatically (or choose "yes" in a simple "Do you want to upgrade?" dialog.)

If you are using XBMC on a linux distro (including XBMC Live), you can get pretty close to this behaviour already:

* the RSS feed (along the bottom of XBMC's main screen when you first start it up) appears to tell you whenever new milestones are available.

* you can upgrade to those new milestone milestones by sshing into a terminal window on your XBMC machine and running apt-get update and apt-get upgrade.

Yes, you hit the nail on the head.

Thanks for the info as well, I'll keep this in mind when the next release is rolled out.
Note that apt-get update and apt-get upgrade don't seem to work on XBMC Live. Just wanted to point this out in case someone else is trying to do this and running Live. I'm re-installing now after Live went sideways on me after trying it.
Snowflake Wrote:Note that apt-get update and apt-get upgrade don't seem to work on XBMC Live. Just wanted to point this out in case someone else is trying to do this and running Live. I'm re-installing now after Live went sideways on me after trying it.

That's strange...it's been working fine for me?
Just to tie in with the original post.

http://xbmc.org/topfs2/2009/03/03/upgrad...xbmc-live/

I plan to add a notifier plugin that runs on autoexec aswell. So next live will be packing alot easier management!
EDIT: might be good to point out that this script will not only update XBMC but the entire system.
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
Would love to see this feature for all OS that update based on daily builds off svn.
That's great news, I look forward to trying this out! Laugh

How often do you guys plan to do aptitude updates for regular (non-SVN building) linux XBMC users? i.e. do you guys only do an update for each release milestone, or will you use it to regularly push out new features and bug fixes, etc?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC Update Notifier0