Getting XBMC Live to work with Intel 82845G/GL (Dell Optiplex 2XX)
Smile 
I setup a few XBMC Live machines over the weekend. It's pretty surprising how lightweight a machine you can get this work on if you can at least get DRI functional with Xorg. I found in the 3 old non-functional XBMC Live installs I did that the #1 problem was getting DRI to work. Compiz is a very popular piece of software that has the same requirement, fast DRI, to work well. I just cheated and used the howtos for compiz to get XBMC to work.

Once you are on the machine via ssh and have the runXBMC.sh and X processes stopped you can websearch for pretty much whatever chipset you use, ubuntu and compiz there are 1,000 of working configs for pretty much every DRI compatible video chipset ever put out.

Here is my procedure to get a P4 2.4 w a Intel Brookdale 82845G/GL working smoothly.

This requires an active network connection and a 2nd pc with some form of ssh access to get into the XBMC Live machine while it flips out and resets X a million times.

Procedure -
1 Install XBMC Live using option 0
2 Power the machine back up, it will go to a flashing login prompt
3 Figure out the IP of the XBMC machine from your dhcp (my internet firewall will tell me what IP it gives out, I used the most recent one)
4 ssh into the XBMC Live machines IP
5 $ sudo bash
to get root access
6 # pkill -9 X
to stop the X reset loop and kill the runXBMC.sh script
7 # nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf
edit the X config file
8 Modify the Device section to look like this.
-----------------------------
Section "Device"
Section "Device"
Option "AccelMethod" "exa"
Option "MigrationHeuristic" "greedy"
Option "EXANoCompsite" "true"
Identifier "Card0"
Driver "i810"
VendorName "Intel Corporation"
BoardName "82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE Chipset Integrated Graphics Device"
EndSection
9 Add INTEL_BATCH="1" to the end of /etc/environment
10 Reboot the system
Wag3Slav3 Wrote:I setup a few XBMC Live machines over the weekend. It's pretty surprising how lightweight a machine you can get this work on if you can at least get DRI functional with Xorg. I found in the 3 old non-functional XBMC Live installs I did that the #1 problem was getting DRI to work. Compiz is a very popular piece of software that has the same requirement, fast DRI, to work well. I just cheated and used the howtos for compiz to get XBMC to work.

Once you are on the machine via ssh and have the runXBMC.sh and X processes stopped you can websearch for pretty much whatever chipset you use, ubuntu and compiz there are 1,000 of working configs for pretty much every DRI compatible video chipset ever put out.

I've got an Nvidia GeForce FX 5200 with the blinking terminal problem and have searched around for compiz and DRI but I'm still a bit confused as to what I'm looking for. Any further tips?

Thanks!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Getting XBMC Live to work with Intel 82845G/GL (Dell Optiplex 2XX)0