newzbin.com script for XBMC?
I am thinking of picking up on python and learning it by building a plugin for xbmc as my first project.

Project outline:
Goal: To make a plugin to easily grab nzb ID's from newzbin and send the nzb or nzb ID to your download program of choice: ex dropping nzb file in directory (many nzb grabbers support importing like this) or sending nzb ID to the program (like hellanzb). It is not the goal of this project to control the download program themselves, just adding new items to the queue.

Way to do this: To easily be able to browse nzb files from within xbmc you should not have to type in anything at all. To ease browsing newzbin supports predefined searches - you can for example search for:

String: "Shitty anime show 1"
Language "japanese"
Subtitle "english"
Post age "max 7 days"
max size "300 mb"

and save the search and access it through RSS feeds. This way it is easy to just parse the RSS feed in the plugin. A config file would be needed containing the RSS feeds and a name for the feed (do we need user/pass for newzbin to access feeds?).
The interface in xbmc should have:

1st menu:

<search 1>
<search 2>
<search 3>
<search 4>

Pick item from menu 1 go to menu 2:

<search result 1 from search X>
<search result 2 from search X>
<search result 3 from search X>
etc.

Either press Info button to get extra info about item, and Select (or w/e button) to start download.

The only hard part of this I think is to get the RSS feeds parsed into the script. As soon as you got the data, presenting it and communication with the other program should be pretty straight forward as I understand building interfaces for scripts in xbmc is well documented, and the programs have a readily accessible interface. There are loads of possibilities in extending this plugins capabilities since newzbin hosts so much data about its items.

So, any tips on parsing RSS feeds in xbmc? Or any other general tips for my script?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
newzbin.com script for XBMC?0