Installing new XBMC skins to Apple TV?
Question 
I've tried looking at how to do this, but every time I try Googling it, I get news about the Apple TV skin for XBMC...

Could someone please tell me how to put new skins onto an Apple TV that's running XBMC? The three skins that come with XBMC initially aren't really my cup of tea.

Any help is greatly appreciated Laugh
glomgold Wrote:I've tried looking at how to do this, but every time I try Googling it, I get news about the Apple TV skin for XBMC...

Could someone please tell me how to put new skins onto an Apple TV that's running XBMC? The three skins that come with XBMC initially aren't really my cup of tea.

Any help is greatly appreciated Laugh

Just download the skin, unzip it, and SCP the skin directory to '/Users/frontrow/Library/Application Support/XBMC/skin' on the AppleTV.

You will need SSHD running on your appletv and an SCP client of some sort to copy the files with. OSX has ssh/scp built in as do most Linux distros. Windows you'll want something like winscp...
dan1son Wrote:Just download the skin, unzip it, and SCP the skin directory to '/Users/frontrow/Library/Application Support/XBMC/skin' on the AppleTV.

You will need SSHD running on your appletv and an SCP client of some sort to copy the files with. OSX has ssh/scp built in as do most Linux distros. Windows you'll want something like winscp...

dude!! please, tell me how to do it, i only know how to use mac os and windows, i'm completely new on this, could you, please, post a little guide on how to make the ssh?

thanks a lot.
I'll try a baseline guide here... you should be able to google the missing details if there are any.

1. Download the skin you want to add and unzip it. It should create a folder named something like "MediaStream" with a bunch of contents.

2. Install SSHD with the usb-patchstick to the AppleTV (installing the XBMC/Boxee patchstick INCLUDES SSHD so you probably have that).

3. Get an scp client (OSX has one built-in, Windows requires something like WinSCP).

4. If in OSX go to the terminal, and SCP the entire skin directory to the AppleTV with a command like the Code snippit below (where "~/Downloads/MediaStream" is the location of the skin directory on your local machine and "IP_OF_APPLETV" is the ip address of the apple tv itself... that can be found within XBMC or within backrow)
Code:
scp -r ~/Downloads/MediaStream frontrow@IP_OF_APPLETV:~/Library/Application Support/XBMC/skin/"

Type the password when prompted (frontrow is the default) and the transfer should begin.

If in Windows, open WinSCP, connect to the appleTV with a username/password of frontrow/frontrow and the IP of the AppleTV. Once connected transfer the entire skin directory to /Users/USERNAME/Library/Application Support/XBMC/skin/ on the AppleTV. I've never used WinSCP so I don't honestly know what it looks like. (I'd guess like an FTP client with the local machine on the left and remote machine on the right).

5. Restart XBMC and the new skin should be selectable in the settings.
Thanks for posting this answer dan1son!

When I used this code it required me to make just a couple minor adjustments.
This is what worked for me.

Code:
scp -r ~/Downloads/MediaStream frontrow@IP_OF_APPLETV:"~/Library/Application\ Support/XBMC/skin/"

Cheers!
Is this still the easiest user friendly way? Nothing that can directly download & install on Apple TV?
crashnburn Wrote:Is this still the easiest user friendly way? Nothing that can directly download & install on Apple TV?

Well, with ssh enabled on ATV you can at least use a GUI FTP client, i.e. Cyberduck or Transmit on Mac; not sure about Windows FTP clients. Be sure to select SFTP connection. Then you can just drag-n-drop stuff. Still not as easy as seeing a list of available skins in the XBMC UI and installing from there, but easier than using a Terminal session if you're not so comfortable with the CLI.
Or: install NitoTV and use the smart installer to enable AFP. After that you will find the AppleTV-drive on the left side of your Finder.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Installing new XBMC skins to Apple TV?0