Why does XBMC Live use an odd file system structure?
This has been bugging me as I try to set up my system, so I thought i'd ask. Maybe there's something I don't understand about how Live works, if that's the case I apologize for not understanding, but haven't been able to find an explanation elsewhere.

The problem is that my system needs a few mods from the "base" Live install. A mod to the lirc_imon driver to get my VFD working, and a change to /etc/modules.d/options to add an option for my Logitech DiNovo keyboard.

Installing the mods seems to work fine up until I try to do an initramfs and write options back to the boot image. Unfortunately, the structure we use isn't "ubuntu standard" so initramfs can't find the files it wants to do the update. I hit this problem the first time I installed when I tried to (optimistically, I guess) do an 'apt-get update; apt-get upgrade' after the first time I installed... It was safe to do on all my other Ubuntu systems, but I guess not on Live.

I'm on my 6th install now, and am avoiding all the mods that need to mess with things in /boot... So my VFD still doesn't work, and I have to do an rmmod/modprobe on my usbhid module to get the trackpad working on my Dinovo Mini.

Anyway, if someone would take the time to explain what i'm missing about Live, i'd love to hear it.
Realized this AM that I said initrd was the problem, when I meant initramfs. Bumped the trhead to see if anyone has any suggestions.
Viewsonic N4285P, ASUS P5N7A-VM, Intel E8500, Mushkin PC28500 2x2GB, Antec Fusion Black 430, Logitech DiNovo Mini, Patriot X-Mini 8GB
Working: 1080p, hdmi audio
Partial: Logitech DiNovo Mini needs 'sudo rmmod usbhid;sudo modprobe usbhid' after boot to make cursor work
Not working: IMON display

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Why does XBMC Live use an odd file system structure?0