ReadyBoost feature for the Xbox?
FourTwentySmilz Wrote:I'll build an HTPC when I amass a big enough HD Library, so my questions DO NOT CONCERN hi-def playback.....but I want to get my XBMC ( on Xbox) running as smooth as possible with MediaStream. By this I mean, I need to know if just dash display and performance will improve with the RAM upgrade. Some say yes. Some say no. I wish there was a definitive answer.

What i do not undertstand is this if the hardware knows it's got the extra ram and xbmc knows and shows it as proved by fourtwentySmilz then why wont or can't the skins make use of this extra ram or do they? does anybody know for sure come on devs / skinners / coders / / god / bill gates / steve jobs(maybe not as he owns apple) please put on your thinking caps
and please tell usHuh?
XBMC Frodo 12 - Windows 7 - Asrock Ion 330HT - Aeon Nox
FourTwentySmilz Wrote:For those that have posted "XBMC will not benifit from an Xbox RAM upgrade".....

Notice the "Free Memory".....102/128.
If this XBMC on Xbox recognizes the memory upgrade ( and this pic was taken May 5, 2005 and posted at Xbox-Scene May 6 2005, 05:01 PM ) then why wouldn't today's XBMC for Xbox benifit from more RAM?

from my (maybe n00bish) point of view this does not prove anything beyond the fact that xbmc can read the amount of available ram, since in this screen we are still inside the first 64mb boundary. a real proving screen would in example show something like " FREE MEMORY 28/128 MB"

got the point?

my guess is the memory above 64mb won't be adressed by xbmc. only a guess, though.
cheers,azido :;):
azido Wrote:from my (maybe n00bish) point of view this does not prove anything beyond the fact that xbmc can read the amount of available ram, since in this screen we are still inside the first 64mb boundary. a real proving screen would in example show something like " FREE MEMORY 28/128 MB"

got the point?

my guess is the memory above 64mb won't be adressed by xbmc. only a guess, though.

First off....I didn't post that pic and say "look...this is proof that this works" I said "If this XBMC on Xbox recognizes the memory upgrade ( and this pic was taken May 5, 2005 and posted at Xbox-Scene May 6 2005, 05:01 PM ) then why wouldn't today's XBMC for Xbox benifit from more RAM?"

Did that sound like..."ATTENTION!!!!!!! This WILL work!!!!!!!!! Here is my proof!!!!!!"

I didn't think it did.

AND

Why did you not bother to put XOR's comments (from the SmartXX site) in your quotations?

It says right there that XBMC and other programs(like Emulators) SEE and USE the extra RAM.

This is NOT a issue of Noobieness or something to knot peoples panties.....it is a question that needs to be resolved. Some say it will work. Some say it will not work. What is the real answer?
Cause it may be the solutions to getting the newer RAM hogging Skins to work flawless with XBMC for Xbox.

And AGAIN, before someone else says blah,blah,blah no HD Playback. This has nothing to do with HD Playability....only with skin functionality.
The CPU can address the full 128MB but the GPU can't. So when you try to allocate one of those big ass Mediastream textures past 64MB all hell breaks loose. AFAIK there's no feasible solution to try to force GPU memory into the lower address space and there certainly isn't enough interest to develop one.
FourTwentySmilz Wrote:First off....I didn't post that pic and say "look...this is proof that this works" I said "If this XBMC on Xbox recognizes the memory upgrade ( and this pic was taken May 5, 2005 and posted at Xbox-Scene May 6 2005, 05:01 PM ) then why wouldn't today's XBMC for Xbox benifit from more RAM?"

Did that sound like..."ATTENTION!!!!!!! This WILL work!!!!!!!!! Here is my proof!!!!!!"

I didn't think it did.

AND

Why did you not bother to put XOR's comments (from the SmartXX site) in your quotations?

It says right there that XBMC and other programs(like Emulators) SEE and USE the extra RAM.

This is NOT a issue of Noobieness or something to knot peoples panties.....it is a question that needs to be resolved. Some say it will work. Some say it will not work. What is the real answer?
Cause it may be the solutions to getting the newer RAM hogging Skins to work flawless with XBMC for Xbox.

And AGAIN, before someone else says blah,blah,blah no HD Playback. This has nothing to do with HD Playability....only with skin functionality.

Geesssssss... wrong side of bed this morning??

Build a 128Mb machine.... send it to Jonathan Marshall.... in New Zealand! or speak to Gamester17 or any other DreamX owner... speak to the people that own Trusty's 1Ghz/128Mb machines... I think you'll get the same answer back.
Ok....I'm done. Thanks for the insightful answer Althekiller. Thanks to everyone else who tried to tell me, and thanks most of all to those who didn't.
And Geeba.....not the wrong side of the bed. azido implied that I posted I had proof, and I never said that.
FourTwentySmilz Wrote:And Geeba.....not the wrong side of the bed. azido implied that I posted I had proof, and I never said that.

no,i didn't. i just wanted to say this picture doesn't really mean anything beside the fact that xbmc knows the exact amount of ram.

further than this i would never go personal on anyone. it's not my target to find wrong postings and hit the poster. if you feel being offended by me,sorry.
cheers,azido :;):
OK i got my new motherboard with 128mb of RAM and all i can say is whoa all new skins i throw at it work flawless no texture manipulating or editing required skins moves around alot more smoothly to here are 10 pics of different parts of horizonz in 720p.

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
http://s3.supload.com/free/screenshot006.png/view/ http://s3.supload.com/free/screenshot007.png/view/
http://s3.supload.com/free/screenshot008.png/view/ http://s3.supload.com/free/screenshot009.png/view/

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ReadyBoost feature for the Xbox?0