Option to prevent HDD Spindown?
I build a PC for my Dad solely for XBMC to play videos for him. I have the OS and XBMC on an 8gig internal drive and all the media on an external 2.5" HDD so he can bring it over to have the content changed after viewing it all.

The external drive works perfectly in windows but very shortly after starting XBMC the drive spins down and rarely spins back up without re-booting the computer.

Is there anyway I can tell XBMC not to spin down the drive? I've searched high and low in the settings and can't find anything that controls that option.

Any help appreciated.

---Update---
I've done some more testing and the problem occurs mostly when there's a DVD in the drive. If I leave a disk in there XBMC spins down the external HDD after being idle for only seconds, even if I have the list of videos on the external drive open.

---Update2---
It seems I actually need to start XBMC with a DVD in the DVD drive, then it spins the external HDD down no matter what I do. If I start XBMC with the DVD drive empty then everything *seems* to work OK so far with limited testing... I can insert a DVD, play it, stop it and leave it in and it seems to not spin down the HDD.
I think you just need a new power supply. Or just try a different usb-port. Or a new drive. That's not really normal behaviour and that has nothing to do with xbmc.
LolitaRainking Wrote:I think you just need a new power supply. Or just try a different usb-port. Or a new drive. That's not really normal behaviour and that has nothing to do with xbmc.

It's not the powersupply, the drive is bus powered and has never shown this behavior before now. It will run forever in windows and never spin down.

The only time I have a problem (so far) with the external HDD is if I start XBMC with a Disc in the DVD drive. I'm still testing to see if there are other circumstances that will cause it to happen.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Option to prevent HDD Spindown?0