Movie/Series database group HD/SD titles
Hi!

I was browsing my TV series list yesterday, and I came with the following situation: I usually have two versions of every serie: the SD one, and the HD one. Usually, I see the HD, and I keep the SD for sharing with friends, or parents (because the HD is too big to keep in a normal USB).

It would be a big thing if XBMC could "detect" that two files are the same episode of a serie, or the same film, and showed only one instance of it. Maybe it could let you choose between the two instances when you press play, or you could configure which version to play by default (HD or SD, letting you choose also from the context menu).

These are just thoughts, but I think it could be a good feature.

Anyway... at the moment XBMC is awesome (even in beta2), and I can't wait to see it when it is 100% perfect: PVR support!

Good job, XBMC team!

aLeX
that would be a great feature, I too have some TV shows/Movies both in HD and SD (Hd for my main xbmc box and SD for my 3 xbox running xbmc) I would love to see an option to play SD by default on the non-hd setups.
Hardware: Revo 3610 + SSD - Harmony 700 Remote
Software: XBMCBuntu Gotham - Sickbeard - SabNZBd+

Also, if you see one video in SD, you don't have to mark the HD video as "watched", because it only appears one time in the library.

I think it's a pretty good feature, not VERY difficult to implement (I think)

aLeX
prove it or stfu about how hard it is to do shit. *grump*
Quote:prove it or stfu about how hard it is to do shit. *grump*

There's no need to get angry about what I said (or maybe I dont get the irony, as I don't speak native english). I was only saying that, compared to other things (PVR, hardware decoding, and thousands of problems I cannot imagine), this feature is "relatively" easy, for an "experienced" XBMC programmer, who knows well how the Movies/Series db works. I'm sure that if I tried to write it myself, I would spend more time knowing the XBMC behaviour that coding that feature.

I repeat, I didn't mean at any moment that anyone HAVE TO implement that feature. I know XBMC developers work very hard to do their best. But from my user-point-of-view, I think that this change, while not comparable in effort to other things, can be very usegul to some users.

aLeX
No real need for XBMC to do anything extra, it's already sortof built-in:

I just found out about this same situation and my post, post#3 in this thread explains how to deal with it. I keep a HD/SD version of some shows and after adding those tags to my files and then re-scanning now my HTPC and XBOX only have one copy not two of each episode...

Check out The Carmichael - A Skin For XBMC

Check out Night - A Skin For XBMC

Check out Unfinished - A Skin For XBMC
mcborzu Wrote:No real need for XBMC to do anything extra, it's already sortof built-in:

I just found out about this same situation and my post, post#3 in this thread explains how to deal with it. I keep a HD/SD version of some shows and after adding those tags to my files and then re-scanning now my HTPC and XBOX only have one copy not two of each episode...

That's clever.

Since this is the Feature Request forum, how about amending the advancedsettings for this to work more automatically:

Code:
<excludefromscan>
  <regexp>[-\._ ](sample|trailer)[-\._ ]</regexp>
  <resolution>
    <above>480</above>
  </resolution>
</excludefromscan>

Or it could be extracted to its own setting (<excluderesolutionfromscan> or something) if the logic code would be simpler to add it that way rather than refactoring what the existing tag already controls. Would then essentially be a matter of changing the database call when this flag is set.

Doesn't work for items outside the library (as easily), but that seems acceptable for getting a fair amount of control out of a fairly easy* hack (I know that's taboo to say, but the point of this suggestion is ceding full control over wrangling duplicates in favor of much simpler execution/code).

Could also be useful for filtering out SD content with a <below> bit, but that doesn't work as elegantly as the original suggestion (with its more involved request) because there wouldn't be a way for XBMC to know whether there was in fact two copies (but that's beyond the scope of the simpler request this post presents). So, that would have to be used sparingly or you'd wipe out SD copies of video for which you don't have HD counterparts, say, but there could still be some worthwhile use-cases for having it around. Options are rarely bad.

This is admittedly a bit redundant with smart playlists able to do the same filtering, but could still be potentially useful in some applications....

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Movie/Series database group HD/SD titles0