No Sound on HD mkv file
Just updated to 8.10 bf atlantis and also the launcher but when i play a 720p mkv file the picture is perfect but i'm not getting any sound, everything is ok when playing avi's. Can anyone point me in the right direction??

The film works fine on my computer.

Thanks
im guessing that you don't have a receiver hooked up and getting sound directly from your tv speakers...

you will need to change the audio setting in xbmc to output analog/mono.

that should do it..
I have the same problem.

Under "Configure Audio Hardware..."
I have selected "Audio Output : Analog"

I have my receiver hooked up via analog stereo output.

Sound works great for .avi's, but HD video content ( 720p ) in the form of .wmv's play without sound.
In each case, what codec has been used for the audio? Run your files past MediaInfo or similar tool to find out if the audio codec is supported (compare against the XBMC supported formats list).

http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=XBMC_Feature...ats/Codecs

Remember that AVI, MKV etc are containers, not codecs. The codecs required for playback depend upon the encoding used before the audio and video data was put into the container format.
Lightbulb 
Mkv sound has been restored! I believe the issue was resolved by upgrading my ALSA sound drivers.

The instructions I followed can be found here: Upgrading ALSA (sound driver) to the latest version

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
No Sound on HD mkv file0