Few issues with Apple TV and XBMC
Hi and happy christmas.

Have been using XBMC on an AppleTV for the past few days now. Had it on my Xbox for years and loved it but figured it was time for an upgrade. I've noticed a few issues however. Wondering if they can be solved. Some I will admit are not specific to XBMC but i'm sure other users will have encountered them.

Issue 1: When playing normal xVid videos under 720p I notice issues with playback. During scenes where there is a lot of changes the screen doesn't seem to be updating quick enough. Seems like the CPU is underpowered but when I play the same file back in Frontrow using the Perian plugins, playback is perfect.

Issue 2: I have installed USB drivers as per this tutorial. USB works more or less fine. I can reboot the Apple TV plug in my USB HDD and all works fine. (ie. the startup usb scripts are working). However, if I start the apple tv with the USB HDD connected, the drive is not picked up. Any ideas why this is?

Issue 3: When connecting the drive once it's already started it will take about a minute for the drive to be picked up and mounted. This could very well be my drive I suppose but I have no way of testing it. It works fine on Windows and OSX Leopard.

thanks in advance.

Configuration:

Apple TV 2.3 (Yes I know there are issues with it but don't think issues are related)
XBMC version 8.10 bf1
ATV creator launcher 0.8
1. XBMC does not use the GPU, the standard ATV software does.
Krieg Wrote:1. XBMC does not use the GPU, the standard ATV software does.

Yes, but surely there is enough whack in the CPU to do the job easily. I know the quality of playback on the original XBox is far better than what i'm getting on the ATV and it's processor is almost 300mhz slower.
is vsync enabled?
Nope, it was disabled. Setting it to enabled now to see if it helps.
That seemed to have solved the problem alright. Thanks for your help. Anyone have any thoughts on the other two issues?
coolplay Wrote:Yes, but surely there is enough whack in the CPU to do the job easily. I know the quality of playback on the original XBox is far better than what i'm getting on the ATV and it's processor is almost 300mhz slower.

Exactly my findings. I really really wanted to ditch my Xbox+XBMC for an Apple TV+XBMC or similar but I can't seem to be able to get the same image quality as in the original XBox! I just don't understand as there aren't more people reporting this issue.

And yes, I used the hack of setting advancedsettings.xml from 48 to 8. This did improve image quality somewhat but it's still not even close to the original XBox.
The CPU is plenty capable of playing <720p videos. One of the remaining problems is with 24fps to 30fps conversion. Since the AppleTV connects to your television at 60hz (or 50hz if it's PAL) you will see somewhat choppy playback with 24fps videos (which happens to be all movies, and most TV shows).

XBMC does not currently do anything to convert the framerate on the AppleTV like frontrow or most other players do.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Few issues with Apple TV and XBMC0