Updating Linux Kernel in XBMC Live?
rodercot,
In the end which kernel are you trying to use? In my searching of the net for a solution to my LPCM woes I found that multichannel LPCM is part of the changelog for the newly released 2.6.28 kernel :Smile:
Quote:commit 862f76f86d64c2cf34a7ff5ddf0a175073b76534
Author: Takashi Iwai <[email protected]>
Date: Wed Jul 30 15:13:29 2008 +0200

ALSA: hda - set up HDMI channels

Set up channel information for HDMI widgets. This will allow LPCM
with multiple channels supported on some HDMI devices.

TODO: It still doesn't check ELD and doesn't change PCM parameters
dynamically.

Signed-off-by: Takashi Iwai <[email protected]>
Signed-off-by: Jaroslav Kysela <[email protected]>

It appears you have been unwittingly working on a solution to my problem all along. I know that it still may not work as the quoted text is a bit ambiguous but it is the best lead I have found so far (especially since the .asoundrc tinker isn't going so well for me).

-Will
Okay well my excitement is a bit diminished since I realized that this changelog also aplies to ALSA 1.0.18 So now I need to confirm whether or not the NVIDIA drivers currently support multichannel LPCM in Linux. If so then it is back to .asoundrc for me. Thanks for your work anyways.
Will,

I am working on 2.6.27-9-generic. That is the kernel in the repos for intrepid. I would like to build for 2.6.28 as well. Is the new kernel std for 9.04.

I could try and update the kernel on the target before i create the img and see if it would take.

I wish I had more experience with this stuff it is taking way too long to see results more reading than doing and it is trying my patience a little bit Big Grin

Luigi has been great with help. MIC comes with std platforms for gutsy and hardy but nothing for intrepid or the newer kernels they had two std kernels to use with MIC 2.6.22 and 2.6.24 which are in those platforms.

What I am trying to do is create a i386 platform with intrepid and it's shipping kernel or the -generic version of that.

Need more info on the whole process. The target part is taxing you basically need to command line configure everything to a working system before creating your img, they do make a live test xephyr but I cannot get that to generate any UI for me at this point.

More later, I think it is time to start, UH! you know! Happy New Year.

rgds,

Dave
Rodercot,
Just thought I would check on you. How is your project coming along?

-Will
Bahndit Wrote:Rodercot,
Just thought I would check on you. How is your project coming along?

-Will

Will,

I have not had much time to further play with this. I tried a few of Luigi's suggestions but I could not get the rootfs to load up, I have a problem in the target configuration I am sure but I am trying to figure out what that is, I hope to spend some time on it this weekend.

My drive in my live machine gave up on Monday as well so I had to rebuild yesterday as well.

Dave
Dave,

You do NOT need to rebuild XBMC Live just to use the latest kernel. I installed 2.6.27-7 using Ubuntu binary packages found here: https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/intrepid/i386.

In addition to the kernel images, you must also install the updated kernel backports modules.
tim_wang Wrote:Dave,

You do NOT need to rebuild XBMC Live just to use the latest kernel. I installed 2.6.27-7 using Ubuntu binary packages found here: https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/intrepid/i386.

In addition to the kernel images, you must also install the updated kernel backports modules.

Tim,

Could you expand on your experience a little bit please. How did you update the intramfs files etc..

Dave
Dave,

I changed my XBMC Live 8.10 installed to HDD to boot from grub instead of syslinux to make my life easier, so upgrading the kernel using prepared ubuntu binary packages was a no brainer. Upgrading the kernel to use with syslinux will be trickier.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Updating Linux Kernel in XBMC Live?0