Wixi (Wixi.com social network around music, video, pictures) addon for XBMC?
Question 
Heyas, my name is Martin and I'm one of the developers of Wixi.com (social network around media - music, video, pictures).

I'm working in developing the XBMC plugin to bring Wixi content (+15tb!) to your TV. This was my first contact with XBMC and XBMC plugin development and I have to say I really enjoyed it.

I've a few questions:
* Wixi streams video, music and pictures. Is it possible to have a single XBMC plugin for the 3 media types? Or at least some kind of shared library between 3 different plugins?
* Related to the previous question: is it possible to have some kind of 'global' configuration? To access your content, you need to login in Wixi so I created 2 settings, 'username' and 'password', but I had to configure those for each plugin (video/music/pictures). I would love to be able to configure it in just one place.

Thanks in advance, if anyone wants to test the beta plugin, just PM.
Hi Runa,

If you want to provide all the media type, why not making a script which allow yu to control the whole GUI design instead of a plugin?
You would be able to have one configuration and provide all contents.

Repositories Installer: select and install unofficial repositories / TAC.TV: watch videos on TAC.TV
Installer Passion-XBMC: Download and Install Add-ons (pre-Dharma only)

Temhil Wrote:Hi Runa,

If you want to provide all the media type, why not making a script which allow yu to control the whole GUI design instead of a plugin?
You would be able to have one configuration and provide all contents.

We thought the plugin way was the natural way to do it (since we offer the users a hierarchical structure to organize their files).
I'll explore the script approach later.

Thanks Smile
You totally can do the same think with a script, but of course you have to implement it.
The core can be the same between a script and a plugin but not the UI part.
For a plugin each 'click' on a item is like restarting the application passing it new parameters, for a script it is still running and you can still using the same variable form the begenning o the end if you need.
Both have pro and con, but in you case me I would do a script. You can find example of script browsing too.

Repositories Installer: select and install unofficial repositories / TAC.TV: watch videos on TAC.TV
Installer Passion-XBMC: Download and Install Add-ons (pre-Dharma only)

Plugins are usually easier to use but scripts can be much more flexible, as an end-user I personally prefer a plugin over a script (or in this case, a separate plugin for each media catagory).

FYI, you can yse XBMC's plugin features from within a python script, see => http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=42807 ...the first AMT (Apple Movie Trailer) script is for example available as both a script and a plugin, using the same core code i believe.

Happy coding and happy new year! Big Grin
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Has anybody tried wixi? and how does it work and preform exactly?

From what I read you sign up with wixi and upload your media, then you can log on with the wixi plugin, and view you uploaded files from anywhere. But only your media.

If thats all it does this could only be useful if you are not at home and wanna view your media from somewhere else. Might just be easier to carry a flash drive around wouldn't it? Uploading a few 2 hour videos can be large and a lenghthy process. Plus this makes your media files vulnerable to hackers or anyone else. Who knows who is keeping on eye on my files.

If I misunderstand how this works please correct me and let me know the benefits of this plugin. Thanks.
Hello everyone...
It's official:

What would you think if we tell you that now you can play all your Wixi files in a Media Center?

Here is your Answer:
- Wixi Plugin for XBMC Suite.

We are proud to announce that you can add this really cool feature into your computer (Linux, Mac OSX & Windows supported) and in your X-Box , giving you the chance to play eveything you store in your Wixi, in the XBMC (http://www.xbmc.org).

XBMC is a software that turns your computer & console into a complete Media Center to enjoy video, music & pictures, just exactly what Wixi supports.
So we decided to develop a plugin and the result is at your hand… All the files you treasure in your Wixi desktop, will look better on your TV!

Source: blog.wixi.com

And answering you plankton88:

Wixi is a streaming and storage service with it own interface, it allows you to play all your uploaded media, anywhere you want with only an internet connection.

With the XBMC plugin, you will be able to play all your uploaded media on your X-Box, Media Center, or anyplace you have your XBMC suite installed... Like your TV.
If you have for example a bunch of 80's sitcoms uploaded, they will look better in you tv screen rather than your computers screen...

I hope this info answered your question

Best

ncabane
just wanted to say that it's amazing to see "content providers" (obviously i realize not in the normal meaning of the word) with a brain.

cookie to you guys
This is a very neat idea, but I personally can't see myself paying for a service like this unless it also offered some other content other than pictures/music/ and video that I already own. Best of luck though, it's always nice to see things like this get developed!
Does anyone know where I can still find the Wixi.com plugin for XBMC?

I have looked all over and cannot find it. The Wixi.com Blog only goes back to April 2010 and I can't find a download for this plugin anywhere else.

Thanks
drawlt Wrote:Does anyone know where I can still find the Wixi.com plugin for XBMC?

I have looked all over and cannot find it. The Wixi.com Blog only goes back to April 2010 and I can't find a download for this plugin anywhere else.

Thanks

anybody? Huh

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Wixi (Wixi.com social network around music, video, pictures) addon for XBMC?1