XBMC as UPnP Client - Firewall Problem
Real newbie here seeking help please.
I have Qnap TS209 II Turbo NAS running Twonky Mediaserver 4.4.5 serving local network as music server: mp3 at present and Flac planned . To date clients have been dedicated hardware boxes such as Netgear MP101 and Noxon 2. This setup has worked well especially Noxon 2 but I am now trying to find a software UPnP client.

Client machine is Thinkpad T42 with OpenSuse 11.0 and I am trying to use XBMC as this seems to be the most complete software client available with the features I want. I have installed xbmc using rpm. (Cannot yet see which version but will keep looking!)

My problem is that nothing works until I turn off the OpenSuse Firewall.
With firewall off I can see tree from the Twonky server and select and play tracks just fine but I can get nothing with firewall on.

I have tried opening various ports as suggested on other forums but still no go. I suspect I do not have correct protocol set but the list of protocols available through Yast is a bit restricted and there is no obvious candidate. I am seeking advice please on how to set up the firewall so that xbmc can work as UPnP client.

Advice and assistance much would be much appreciated.
Budgie
Budgie Wrote:Real newbie here seeking help please.
I have Qnap TS209 II Turbo NAS running Twonky Mediaserver 4.4.5 serving local network as music server: mp3 at present and Flac planned . To date clients have been dedicated hardware boxes such as Netgear MP101 and Noxon 2. This setup has worked well especially Noxon 2 but I am now trying to find a software UPnP client.

Client machine is Thinkpad T42 with OpenSuse 11.0 and I am trying to use XBMC as this seems to be the most complete software client available with the features I want. I have installed xbmc using rpm. (Cannot yet see which version but will keep looking!)

My problem is that nothing works until I turn off the OpenSuse Firewall.
With firewall off I can see tree from the Twonky server and select and play tracks just fine but I can get nothing with firewall on.

I have tried opening various ports as suggested on other forums but still no go. I suspect I do not have correct protocol set but the list of protocols available through Yast is a bit restricted and there is no obvious candidate. I am seeking advice please on how to set up the firewall so that xbmc can work as UPnP client.

Advice and assistance much would be much appreciated.
Budgie

Answering myself here but after a bit more research I changed the firewall zone to Internal and all is now OK. Guess terminology confused me but am posting this in case there are others as dumb.
Budgie

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC as UPnP Client - Firewall Problem0