Anyone running a USB cable over 15 feet for their IR sensor?
I want to have my server in the basement do double duty and install XBMC on it for use in my bedroom upstairs. The basement is unfinished so I can run some hdmi/spdif/usb cables without too much of an issue. The problem is they need to go almost 30 feet. That shouldn't be a problem for the hdmi and optical digital cables but it seems the maximum length for USB cable specs is 15 feet. I can't even find cables over 15 feet so I'll have to buy a couple and hook them together.

Before I waste my time buying all the cables and running them only to find out it won't work, is anyone successfully running a usb cable twice the max recommended distance and using it for a mce remote/keyboard/mouse?
I had a 20M run from one room to the next working ok
I was using three 5m Usb repeaters plus the lead on the usb receiver was very long as well.

Andy
USB 'might' have a problem, lots of factors here... RF interference in the house (lighting, outside waves, etc), the quality of the cable, the strength of your USB hub (yes, there are differences).

2 Options...
1) USB repeater (will work but may end up costing the same as below)
2) USB to CAT5e extender system... careful to ensure it is 2.0 compliant and you talk to them to ensure money back, no hassle guarantee... many of these say 2.0 in the title and them 1.1 in the specs... get verification.
cheapest I found doing a quick search:
http://homeavcables.com/usb-usb-over-cat...-kits.html
http://store4pc.stores.yahoo.net/usb20excaovc.html

let us know what you find, get, and the results.
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
Do repeaters or cat5 extenders cause a delay? Like will you push a button on the remote and then it takes half a second for it to respond?
Any length of wire, technically, will cause a delay - that is just physics... so yes.

The better question is will you notice it... not likely. Delay will be measured in milliseconds.
I have a logitech wireless controller from an XB1...

What about using a similar controller instead of IR? I know it's not your MCE remote, but a wireless solution would be one alternative to trying to string together a 30-foot USB cable. Big Grin
digitalhigh Wrote:I have a logitech wireless controller from an XB1...

What about using a similar controller instead of IR? I know it's not your MCE remote, but a wireless solution would be one alternative to trying to string together a 30-foot USB cable. Big Grin

Yeah, that's a possibility. I was going to use MCE for live TV but I'm sure a harmony remote can be made to work with it fairly well.

I also wanted to have a keyboard/mouse. I searched around for RF ones and found this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6823166047

Some of the reviews said it worked over 30ft away through walls and doors.
Just toss a cheap ass hub between the cables and you should be fine. The delay should be significantly below 1ms.
althekiller Wrote:Just toss a cheap ass hub between the cables and you should be fine. The delay should be significantly below 1ms.

Powered hub right? Wink

DiNovo Mini might be nice - bluetooth baby and a full keyboard!
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
There are unpowered ones? Seems useless... I've honestly never used a USB hub.
Another option is an IR repeater (not an extender). If you keep an eye on ebay, they can be found pretty cheap.
My htpc, receiver & satellite stb are at the back of my home theatre. I tried those IR extenders, but they worked hit & miss. I then purchased a Xantech repeater system.
You place a small IR sensor in an inconspicuous spot (I placed mine behind the grill of my centre speaker) & run cheap cat-5 cable to a powered distribution block. The run can be up to 500'. IR emitters are plugged into that & stuck over the IR sensors of your equipment. More IR sensors can be added so your system can be controlled from multiple locations.
I use mine to control the htpc, receiver, satellite box, X10 controlled lights & hopefully soon, the front door. Since it's wired & not RF, it always works.
I have a few IR repeaters for sale if you want to go that route I'll sell it to you cheap.

let me know.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Anyone running a USB cable over 15 feet for their IR sensor?0