Poor Performance of Eventghost in XBMC
Ok, well I've done quite a bit more troubleshooting tonight, and it's definitely NOT an issue with EventGhost or any remotes.

I'm using the ComPort.exe utility available for my IRA-3, which allows me to look at the raw data in 6 byte groups being received and translated by the IR module.

The raw data shows perfect operation until I open XBMC. While the XBMC executable is running, the IR codes become random and inconsistent. Occasionally, when XBMC is windowed and in the background, "some" consistency comes back in the raw IR codes, but not very much.

As soon as I close XBMC, the IR codes return to normal in the raw data.

This only happens with XBMC being run. I've run a dozen other applications, and only XBMC seems to be affecting things.

I even tried changing the COM port from COM1 to COM4, by changing the memory address and IRQ, but it didn't help at all.

My only hope seems to be to try to go with another IR module (maybe USB instead of Serial Port based) and hope that works.

I'm going to try this setup on another PC to see if the same issue occurs there.
XP Pro SP3 - Intel G45 - Core 2 Duo 2.66GHz - 2GB RAM - Intel GMA X4500HD Video - MCE Infrared - Adesso WKB-4000US RF Keyboard
Works perfectly in my other PC, so I don't know what the deal is...Gonna buy another IR USB module I think, like the USB-UIRT, unless I can find a MCE module locally somewhere.
XP Pro SP3 - Intel G45 - Core 2 Duo 2.66GHz - 2GB RAM - Intel GMA X4500HD Video - MCE Infrared - Adesso WKB-4000US RF Keyboard
I have a UIRT it works well with event ghost but MCE might be the way to go for XBMC... If they ever do create better IR support I am almost positive it will be geared towards the MCE remotes.

I think some people have gotten the MCE codes and receiver to work with out EG...
Well I got this remote and IR module off of eBay for about $22 shipped:

http://www.pacificgeek.com/product.asp?id=21902

Hopefully, this will solve my issues.

I tried almost a dozen local retailers, and none of them, even the big box retailers have MCE remote kits.
I also have a harmony one and I can't get it functioning smoothly. What IR receiver are you using? I am using the original MCE remote and IR linked above.
With the harmony, I can't get consistent scrolling. EG reports the first press, then randomly repeats the press so I get inconsistent scrolling.
With the original MCE remote, I don't have any issues with scrolling and EG will report just the first press and will continue the auto repeat until I release the button.
I tried your timings below and it didn't improve my scrolling issue.

Hitcher Wrote:I use 'Autorepeat current macro' in EG for Up, Down, Left and Right with the following settings -

Start first repetition after [0.30] seconds
with one repetition every [0.10] seconds

Increase repetition the next [3.00] seconds
to one repetition every [0.03] seconds

I haven't touched the settings in XBMC, my Harmony One is emulating my Xbox 360 media remote and it's delay settings are all '0'.

Hope that helps.
supernoman Wrote:I also have a harmony one and I can't get it functioning smoothly. What IR receiver are you using? I am using the original MCE remote and IR linked above.
With the harmony, I can't get consistent scrolling. EG reports the first press, then randomly repeats the press so I get inconsistent scrolling.
With the original MCE remote, I don't have any issues with scrolling and EG will report just the first press and will continue the auto repeat until I release the button.
I tried your timings below and it didn't improve my scrolling issue.

Have you checked the 'Delay settings' for your MCE remote in the Harmony's set up options?
Yes. Under the device settings, I set the Input Delay and Interkey Delay to 0.

I also tried adding an Xbox 360 and adding its remote commands to EG and I get the same scrolling problem. I have many Harmony remotes, and it controls everything just fine except XBMC for Windows. I have the Xbox1 and XBMC on it controlled by the Harmony and I have no problems with scrolling.
It might be the IR receiver that's why I asked which one you are using.
Hitcher Wrote:Have you checked the 'Delay settings' for your MCE remote in the Harmony's set up options?
Ah sorry, I'm using a USB-UIRT.
Thanks...I was hoping it wasn't an IR problem. I didn't really want to spend more for USB-UIRT since I already have 2 MCE IRs. It bothers me that the Original MCE remote can scroll no problem.
I even tried teaching the Harmony the RAW remote commands but that didn't help. Harmony tech support has gone to the crapper too lately. No more live tech support.

Hitcher Wrote:Ah sorry, I'm using a USB-UIRT.
supernoman Wrote:Thanks...I was hoping it wasn't an IR problem. I didn't really want to spend more for USB-UIRT since I already have 2 MCE IRs. It bothers me that the Original MCE remote can scroll no problem.
I even tried teaching the Harmony the RAW remote commands but that didn't help. Harmony tech support has gone to the crapper too lately. No more live tech support.

My MCE remote and IR module should be here Monday...I'll let you know how I make out with my Harmony and the MCE IR module.
Well I got the MCE module, and the installation and configuration with EG was a dream. Easy and no delays at all with everything at the default settings in XBMC and EG. I'm in the progress of getting the IR module circuit board installed INSIDE my PC case right now.
I am having the same exact problem with my IRA-3. When XBMC is in fullscreen mode I get random and inconsistent input from my remote but when it is windowed it works perfectly. Did you ever solve the problem?
If you are using a serial port based receiver they can have some lag depending on what the pc is doing. Serial ports are not interrupt based so when open to a terminal or receiving data from a device. Instead they are polled, meaning your pc has to repeatedly ask the serial port, Do you have any new data ? Depending on what the pc is doing it might take longer to check for data. USB is interrupt based. So the second new data is available the device basically tells the pc, HEY ,I got something for you ! Smile
supernoman Wrote:Thanks...I was hoping it wasn't an IR problem. I didn't really want to spend more for USB-UIRT since I already have 2 MCE IRs. It bothers me that the Original MCE remote can scroll no problem.

I use a USB-UIRT also and it works flawlessly with EG (and other apps I've used).

This is one case where spending the extra $ you really get your $ worth compared to the competition.
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Poor Performance of Eventghost in XBMC0