External library manager?
Lightbulb 
i might get flamed for even bringing this up and what not but whatever i'm gonna say it

there are two programs out there .. that do the same thing in helping you manage your video collections and export nfo files that xbmc can use to import the information .. this is nice however there are a couple flaws to this

1. both MIP and XMC are windows programs so yes you can run them on windows and still use the nfo files they create to import into xbmc running on other systems but i think there might be a better way especially for those of use who don't like to run windows
2. they use nfo files .. this is a flaw i feel because i think we can do better since xbmc is moving away from xbox and onto real systems (linux/win/osx) why not just manage the db file itself instead of relying on those pesky nfo files

why not take what they do best, manage your videos & posters/fanart for them which is tedious and difficult in xbmc, and create a hybrid that instead of exporting nfo files actually interacts with the myvideos34.db file on your system

basically what i'm envisioning is something like a clone of MIP or XMC .. you start it up point it at your db file and it loads up the data in a manageable way to visuallize and manipulate (i've loaded up that file in a couple different sql browsers on both osx and win and it ain't fun playing around with that much data and tables especially when you don't know/understand the schema Wink)

from there you can see the data presented to you and interact/manipulate it in a much easier fashion .. say you want to tweak certain innaccuracies .. modify poster/fanart as easy as it is in MIP .. after your done hit save it saves changes to db .. saves jpgs/tbns to where they should be and whalla your done .. load up xbmc and your golden

also why not make it cross platform and write it in something like java (make it app/webapp whatever) so that all users not just windows users can easily mod their libraries .. if xbmc is gonna be cross platform why not make programs to work with it also crossplatform

unfortunately however .. since the last time i wrote code was about 10 years ago in high school i have no clue how or where to start in writting apps since that is not my forte (sorry guys .. med student here Smile) i just give ideas Wink .. just wanted to present a vision i had that i feel would add alot to the general community
NFO files are a better solution IMO for a few reasons. For starters I believe there are other media centers that use the same/similar NFO format as XBMC, so this allows them to manage those too. But also because by using an NFO you tie the info to your filesystem. If you accidentally overwrite your library, just re-scan from files. Also, by managing the files rather than the library you enable multiple XBMC installations to access the data, since there is currently no way for multiple XBMC installations to share one library.
I concur. I would prefer to use nfos. Easier to fine tune certain movies here and there and never have to worry about the database getting corrupted etc. Just the best and most logical system in my opinion.
If this ever gets implemented, that manager would be XBMC
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
i can understand why people would still want to create the nfo files .. for such situations as a db file gets corrupted and needs to be recreated .. so i guess another feature of the program would be to also export nfo's/poster/fanart like MIP does now

however for the people who don't have their movies/tv shows scan in by MIP/XMC it would a nice feature to be able to pull the data from the db and caches instead of having to once again scan it in from the web
pletopia Wrote:i can understand why people would still want to create the nfo files .. for such situations as a db file gets corrupted and needs to be recreated .. so i guess another feature of the program would be to also export nfo's/poster/fanart like MIP does now

however for the people who don't have their movies/tv shows scan in by MIP/XMC it would a nice feature to be able to pull the data from the db and caches instead of having to once again scan it in from the web

The same guy who makes XMC has a utility that will export your XBMC library to NFOs for you... that's what I used to initially get my NFOs going, and then used XMC from there.
midgetspy Wrote:The same guy who makes XMC has a utility that will export your XBMC library to NFOs for you... that's what I used to initially get my NFOs going, and then used XMC from there.

You guys know about the library export changes? XBMC is able to export to separate .nfo/.tbn and fanart images since SVN revision 16509.
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
using the new export feature .. where do the nfo/tbn/fanart files get stored .. the movie/tv dir ??
yes
I suggest that if either of these programs wish to alter data in the db, then simply read/write the xml version of the library (in addition to the nfo's). They could access XBMC to export or import as well if they really want to. The only disadvantage then is that XBMC has trouble importing (and exporting, though that's easy to fix) large db files from the xbox.

It would be troublesome if they decide to read and write the db itself, as if we change the layout (which I guarantee that we will) they'll then require updates.

I'm hoping that one or both of these apps decide to eventually grab the XBMC scraper system and use that also. Smile

Cheers,
Jonathan
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

I personally like the use of external nfo files because I have 5 different boxes running xbmc that access all the media on a file server. So editing the nfo files in my case is much easier than directly modifying the xbmc library on one of the boxes because I would have to do that 5 times.
jmarshall Wrote:I'm hoping that one or both of these apps decide to eventually grab the XBMC scraper system and use that also. Smile

The XBMC scraper code is very entangled with the GUI afair, so not that easy to grab.
In what way? It needs settings, otherwise the parser is reasonably disconnected as far as I can tell.

jmarshall Wrote:I'm hoping that one or both of these apps decide to eventually grab the XBMC scraper system and use that also. Smile
I too hoping more applications could share XBMC's scraper parser code as then all can use the same scrapers, see:
http://forum.team-mediaportal.com/improv...ing-35312/
and:
http://www.meedios.com/forum/viewtopic.p...t=scrapers
Quote:This scraper API should in theory only require that you first integrate basic XML parser and PCRE RegEx parser into MediaPortal (which I assume already exist and if so only a hook should be needed), and then you will have to convert XBMC's ScraperParser.cpp from C++ to C# code in order for MediaPortal to use it nativly.

You can download the XBMC source code from the SVN, instructions can be found here:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/xbmc

The existing scapers can be found in the SVN under "/branches/linuxport/XBMC/system/scrapers/"
(Please note that IMDb.xml is the best scraper of these to use as a reference).
Find the C++ source code for XBMC parser in "/branches/linuxport/XBMC/xbmc/utils/ScraperParser.cpp"
Gamester17 Wrote:I too hoping more applications could share XBMC's scraper parser code as then all can use the same scrapers, see:
http://forum.team-mediaportal.com/improv...ing-35312/
and:
http://www.meedios.com/forum/viewtopic.p...t=scrapers

That's the plan for MIP's mono version.. I will be starting to work on that more when I can get mono dev 2 working under ubuntu or Windows, we got it to run under gentoo, and sorta under opensuse, it's just been a bugger under ubuntu. I'm thinking that will be easy when mono dev 2 is completed.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
External library manager?0