preferred installation way: LiveCD or Ubuntu + PPA?
Question 
Hi,

I wonder what's the preferred / more stable way to install XBMC-Linux: through LiveCD or Ubuntu (8.10) + XBMC PPAs?

Thanks,

Vlad
If Live! supports your hardware and you have little to no Linux experience the Live is fine IMO and even has some scripts etc. setup. If you need something with the latest fixes then skip PPA and Live and go for an SVN compile yourself. Even without a ton of Linux experience doing that is easy enough to pickup IMO. http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=HOW-TO_compi...ource_code
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
Well, 'go to the source, young Skywalker' Smile. But I can and did that with MythTV couple of years ago, exactly because they cut new releases once in 2-3 _years_. I was looking for a bit less time consuming way if possible. But generally going to the source is not a problem (if it does compile 'out of the box' under Ubuntu 8.1).

But here are a bunch of other questions then:

- how often do PPAs get updated? Are 'new features' / hotfixes are being pushed out on a regular basis (once a week/biweekly), like it's done in MythBuntu project?

- if I'm going to the source, are there 'stable' tags created once in a while, or there is only the 'official release' and the 'trunk' (active development branch)? I don't want to pick up some unstable features or new bugs and always be in the state of patching this or the other feature...

Thanks for replies! And another thanks to all the developers for seemingly the great app - I've been using Freevo for over a year till recently - when my old server died - and MythTV before that - both are great apps (if you don't mind fiddling with setup or source build), but they do look a bit unpolished to compare with XBMC (especially MythTV).

Vlad
The main advantage of the Ubuntu CD install is that you have many more tools to work with. If you need to edit files, play with drivers, etc... you do need to spend the day sudo apt-getting evreything.

Once you got it configured, it's easy to create an XBMC session at login, or just set it to auto-start with login.

But if verything works under live, yeah that's fine.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
preferred installation way: LiveCD or Ubuntu + PPA?0