Voting possibility for feature request @ trac
althekiller Wrote:@olympia, If I get my way, we'll have a "view all tickets by activity" sort, which should alleviate your concerns. Most of the sorts we have now are more or less useless.

Well, that's a great idea too. I wanted already to include something like this in the original post, but forgotten. So if we had have a sort on "activity" and /or on "last update", could lead not to forget "active" feature requests.
rwparris2 Wrote:When you comment on trac, it emails all the people added to the CC (carbon copy) list. Once you comment, you're automatically added to the CC list, so you will be emailed everytime someone comments or status changes from that point on as well.

Well, to tell you the truth, I wasn't aware about that, thank you for making me less blind... Smile
althekiller Wrote:@olympia, If I get my way, we'll have a "view all tickets by activity" sort, which should alleviate your concerns. Most of the sorts we have now are more or less useless.

you mean like this?
http://www.xbmc.org/trac/query?status=accep....

good points from both sides by the way.
  • Livingroom - C2D E8400, P5N7A-VM on a Samsung 46" LE46M86 FullHD via HDMI
  • Kitchen - ASRock 330 HT Displayed on a Samsung Lapfit 22" dual touch screen LD220Z
  • Bedroom - LG Laptop on a 32" tv
spiff Wrote:-1

we wont care

or to put it as i did on irc;

17:42 < cptspiff> users can vote over my dead white shiney ass
ImageImageImage

I read this thread only to read what spiff had to say about it! Image

You didn't let me down!

Edit: and even if I'm just an end user, I am too against this proposal. Devs to this on their own free time, on a volunteer basis. Voting won't change a thing, I'd say.
The only advantage I can see with allowing voting is that it might cut down on people bumping a trac report with "I want this too", which is worse than someone voting. Given that we haven't really had a problem with that, I don't see the need for the voting.

The sort of things that don't get developer support early on (whether that support consists of "sure, I'll do it" or is more "patch welcome, here's some suggestions") are generally not going to be implemented at all by the core team, and may not even be accepted, though these are usually flagged as such.

I think a useful addition might be some (completely optional, and only developers may fill them) fields to specify things like:

1. Acceptable with a patch (this allows filtering of suggestions for new devs with stuff that isn't being actively worked on.)
2. Perhaps some indication of difficulty level of the above?

I know I'd be willing to go through some of the FR's and fill in some of the above fields if I felt that it'd be useful for new developers.

That's really what trac is all about, after all Smile

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Sad 
Let's explain the problem a litte: Because i didn't found a vote option the issue http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/5096 i added a comment. After a while a comment from d4rk: "please respect that only developers comments goes on trac, so no "+1" here thanks, we use the forums for that."

People are used to voting and it is a comon practice even in non-open-source environments. it's a simple and clean way of measuring the need for one feature or another. Nobody says that the developer must solve the issue based on this information but it would be foolish to ignore it completly.

Measurement of "popularity" on the forum is hard and maybe almost imposible to track correctly.

The true question about voting: why whould somebody refuse to add a voting feature (if it's not too hard)? The only plausible response it would be that he do not care about the others and he want to do only they like.

And yes, adding votes will let the trac more clean, because people will not be required to add silly comments.

Also, I should add that it shouldn't be a problem for any core-developer to write in a comment that they do have the resources to do it but they will appreciate a patch.

PS. Maybe somebody should add a "score" for measuring some people 'ego' Wink
claiming ego has anything with this is just low
The point is: The votes WILL be ignored by seasoned developers.

Whether they're useful for new developers is a possibility - I don't know. I can just see the situation where "l33t feature that no dev cares about" gets a few thousand votes, and ya'll get pissed off that we still don't do it.

@intersol: OT: That would have been Gamester17, not d4rk.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

All I know is I'm greatful for everything and honestly if the term "ego" comes up the team is my hero and around me they are allowed to have an ego.. Wink

Other than that I've seen this is a hobby thrown around by many and if their hobby helps out my hobby then I'll take anything. Devs in my experience from projects either.
Add what benifits the project
Add what they want

Am I or anybody else to sway that process with a vote? I'm sure the vote could be cast and 1,000,000 votes for one thing shows what is important to the masses, but lets face it. The masses are not doing the coding.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Voting possibility for feature request @ trac0