AppleTV or Original XBox with XBMC
I already have an xbox with xbmc on it, but for form factor reasons I was thinking of getting an appletv to replace it with. Are there any other reasons to replace the xbox with the appletv or am I better off just dealing with the xbox? Any advantage of having the apple tv instead?
Better form factor and a faster processor are the advantages of AppleTV.

The processor isn't fast enough for many scene-released h264 720p encodes, however, so it depends on exactly what you're wanting.

Certainly all SD h264 content plays without an issue on AppleTV, whereas the xbox struggles.

Whether that warrants purchasing an Apple TV or not is up to you Smile
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

I've been considering this also since one of my Xboxes just died. What about GUI performance? Is it better/faster? I have a relatively large video library and sometimes load times are a little slow on the Xbox. Same with scrolling in the library when using large thumbs. Are these things faster on the ATV?
I still have both the Xbox and my new ATV hooked up to the TV. The latter certainly has a higher WAF except for the fact that the remote control needs way more button presses. Maybe there is a better way to program the Harmony Remote so that it works the same way on both boxes but I haven't figured it out yet Huh
Fire TV Stick, Xiaomi Mi Box, Tanix TX3 Mini (S905W), Fire TV with 4K, Apple TV 4K, Tanix TX3 (S905X3)
RockDawg Wrote:I've been considering this also since one of my Xboxes just died. What about GUI performance? Is it better/faster? I have a relatively large video library and sometimes load times are a little slow on the Xbox. Same with scrolling in the library when using large thumbs. Are these things faster on the ATV?

XBMC GUI on the Xbox is faster than on the ATV. What you gain on the ATV is improved image quality (see here), a HD GUI and a smaller and silent form factor.
smartins Wrote:XBMC GUI on the Xbox is faster than on the ATV. What you gain on the ATV is improved image quality (see here), a HD GUI and a smaller and silent form factor.

GUI on Xbox is HD.. looks great.. Nod
I have to agree. I haven't updated XBMC on my xbox1 for a couple of years, but I find the GUI in the xbox1 is definitely more responsive than on the AppleTV. The AppleTV really seems to grind when generating thumbnails which slows it down navigating through a file list. Recently I even saw XBMC running on a Dual Core laptop with 3gb RAM and Windows Vista and even this seemed more sluggish to me than the xbox1.

It's hard to fathom - they must have managed to optimise the hell out of the xbox1 version. Changing to a non-HD skin helps a little to speed up the AppleTV GUI.
XBMC was not designed to be used on AppleTV ... That's probably the reason.

Hopefully, every version of XBMC for AppleTV improves the previous one.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
AppleTV or Original XBox with XBMC0