• 1(current)
[REQUEST] MLB.TV (Live Major League Baseball Games) plugin? Maybe port/use mlbviewer?
Lightbulb 
I hope I'm not the only baseball fan around here. Last season, some fellow MLB fans wrote a python-based application that allows subscribers to the MLB.com service MLB.tv to watch and listen to baseball games in Linux. The project developed out of a 60-page forum post which you can check out here:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/...ost3139394

Anyway, the project is called mlbviewer and is on Sourceforge:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/mlbviewer

It is currently console-based and parses the schedule and feed info from MLB.com and displays a schedule allowing the user to select a live game and watch it, or stream archived games. It supports highlighting favorite teams and config options for MLB.com's regional blackouts.

In short, it uses a console frontend to obtain the appropriate game's mms:// URL and pass that to mplayer (or whatever external player is specified).

I would LOVE to have this integrated with XBMC, even if it's just the frontend. I'm not a programmer, but it seems to me that since mlbviewer is already written in Python, it should be relatively easy to make a script/plugin out of it.

Anyone up for it? At the very least, could someone take a cursory look and tell me how much work would be required to accomplish this? Thanks!
No baseball fans? Sad

Could someone take a gander at the mlbviewer code and at least let me know what it would take?
Question 
Anyone know or tried yet?
wouldn't count on it.

afaik paid sites are A LOT harder to script...
coredalae Wrote:wouldn't count on it.

afaik paid sites are A LOT harder to script...

Thanks for your reply! I'm new to this...
Especially when we don't pay for the service. That makes it insanely difficult.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search and search the forum before posting.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please read how to submit a proper bug report.

If you're interested in writing addons for xbmc, read docs and how-to for plugins and scripts ||| http://code.google.com/p/xbmc-addons/
rwparris2 Wrote:Especially when we don't pay for the service. That makes it insanely difficult.

If MLB radio is 10 bucks this year. Could I donate a subscription to help make it work? (IE at least get the radio portion right?)

The mlb.tv is going to over 100 this year. Doh...
Yeah I'd love to have an mlb.tv plugin as well. If we can't get a plugin though, is there any other way to do it? I have been reading about firefox on xbox and stuff like that... any chance that would work?
I can't help you with the code, but I can say that I would LOVE to be able to access my mlb.tv account and watch games from my xbmc xbox.
newg Wrote:Yeah I'd love to have an mlb.tv plugin as well. If we can't get a plugin though, is there any other way to do it? I have been reading about firefox on xbox and stuff like that... any chance that would work?

Second that... Any finger pointing would be good to get me in the right directions. Thanks
There is an mlbviewer "library" which is abstracted from the current console-based UI. That means that, as far as I can tell, someone would only have to write a frontend script for XBMC as all the heavy lifting is already done by the existing python library.

The only thing is that I believe XBMC is currently unable to play mms:// streams. The XBMC script would, at least temporarily, have to use mplayer (or whatever player the user specifies in the mlbviewer config file) to play the stream.

In short, I think a knowledgeable python coder could do this very easily. The existing console UI already has all the basic functionality written in. All we really need is a way to display that information in XBMC.

Can we get a sponsor??
I would be willing to take a stab at it. I don't have an mlb.tv account though.
BlueCop Wrote:I would be willing to take a stab at it. I don't have an mlb.tv account though.

I can donate you an account. But It would have to be either the yearly subscription for the gameday audio (14.95)or one month of the mlb.tv (14.95) or I can donate 19.95 for one month of both.
The current developer of mlbviewer goes by the handle "daftcat" on the linuxquestions forum linked in the OP. Since it is now Spring training, that thread has become active again so I'm sure daftcat would be willing and able to answer any development related questions. I asked him earlier if he could work on an XBMC script and he indicated he didn't know if he could (since he doesn't use XBMC) but that he might be able to help.

I would really love to see this and of course, I am perpetually available to help test! :-)
Also, someone on the Boxee forums is working on it too:

http://forum.boxee.tv/showthread.php?p=38817

Maybe he could help?
  • 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[REQUEST] MLB.TV (Live Major League Baseball Games) plugin? Maybe port/use mlbviewer?1