Tearing problems with 180 nvidia drivers
Hi,

I'm having tearing problems with xbmc svn r17061 on all my video files (mkv,avi,etc.). I'm using nvidia 180.11 drivers in intrepid (installed from ubuntu packages). I've got "sync to blank" activated in the nvidia drivers and vertical blank vsync to always in xbmc.

The only thing that seems wrong is that the nvidia settings reports the refresh rate of the monitor of 60Hz and xbmc only allows me to select 50Hz :confused2:

Anyone with similar issues? Is it possible to make xbmc to use 60Hz as the monitor?
First of all, disable Dynamic Twin View in xorg.conf (search forums as I have explained this before). This will allow the 60hz to show up.

Secondly, try setting the Vsync in XBMC to "Let Driver Decide".

Thirdly, debug log please.
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Hi tslayer,

tslayer Wrote:First of all, disable Dynamic Twin View in xorg.conf (search forums as I have explained this before). This will allow the 60hz to show up.
Secondly, try setting the Vsync in XBMC to "Let Driver Decide".
Thirdly, debug log please.

Thanks for the reply. I've disable "DynamicTwinView" and it indeed showed 60Hz in xbmc. I've alse tried "let driver decide" in vsync but neither of them helped with the tearing problems Sad

Here is the xbmc log http://pastebin.ca/1308205

My xorg.conf does like this in the device section:
Code:
Section "Device"
        Identifier      "Configured Video Device"
        Driver  "nvidia"
        Option  "NoLogo"        "True"
        Option "DynamicTwinView" "False"
EndSection
Your drivers version is 180.22, not .11.

Secondly, try try again with Vsync always enabled in XBMC and provide debug log.

Thanks.

Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
Hi,

tslayer Wrote:Your drivers version is 180.22, not .11.

Again, thank you for your fast reply. Sorry for not mentioning the driver change. I tried both 180.11 and 180.22 with the same results.

Quote:Secondly, try try again with Vsync always enabled in XBMC and provide debug log.

Here is the new log with vsync always enabled: http://pastebin.ca/1308238

I've also created a youtube video with the problem, just in case I'm confused about calling it "tearing". It is not very clear because of the youtube's recompression but you can see a horizontal line forming in the upper half of the screen at the time of the explosion in the video: youtube video
I do not know why you are getting tearing. I see nothing that jumps out.

I'm on Hardy using 180.08. I have an 8600 GT card.

It looks like you have adjust refresh rate enabled (in Video Settings). Can you disable that? From the looks of what your modes are, you don't have 24hz (did you modify modelines by any chance?) so maybe there is something going on when it tries to change refresh rate.

tslayer Wrote:I do not know why you are getting tearing. I see nothing that jumps out.

I'm on Hardy using 180.08. I have an 8600 GT card.

It looks like you have adjust refresh rate enabled (in Video Settings). Can you disable that? From the looks of what your modes are, you don't have 24hz (did you modify modelines by any chance?) so maybe there is something going on when it tries to change refresh rate.

I've tried both "adjust refresh rate" enabled/disabled with same tearing. Sad My monitor does not support 24Hz (and no modelines added to xorg.conf) but I guess the 24Hz to 60Hz should produce judder but no tearing.

I've tried hardy with nvidia 177.82 driver and I've got similar tearing problems. Anyone with this board (asus p5n7a-vm with integrated geforce 9300) is actually able to see videos without tearing? I think I have tried any possible combination and all of them had problems Sad
Wish I could help.. I don't have integrated.

Sorry.

tslayer Wrote:Wish I could help.. I don't have integrated.

Sorry.

Thanks for your help, I'm actually without any ideas of the possible cause. Sad

I'm going to get a CD drive and try to use the XBMC live CD following this post. There seems to be people with this board and they are no reports of tearing. I'll also try other apps (mplayer or gstreamer) to ensure is a driver issue.

regards,
If you had a sample clip where you see tearing, would help a lot.
olympia Wrote:If you had a sample clip where you see tearing, would help a lot.

I'm seeing in almost any video. I've prepared a sample (700k) from an avi file but not sure where I can put it so people can download it.
Have you tried the drivers directly from nVidia instead of the Ubutnu packaged ones? I've had far better success with the nVidia downloaded ones over the Ubuntu ones. Don't ask me why, cuz I can't explain it.. it just is Smile
He has to be using the binary installer for 180.11 or 180.22.
There is no Ubuntu package for these beta drivers yet.

What I'm wondering is if he didn't do it right.
If perhaps he forgot to completely remove the nvidia packaged before installing another driver.
Possibly even he even has desktop effects enabled which would account for such problems.
Hi,

hikaricore Wrote:He has to be using the binary installer for 180.11 or 180.22.
There is no Ubuntu package for these beta drivers yet.

Nope, there are ubuntu packages of 180.11 in the intrepid-updates repository and 180.22 *is* stable not a beta driver. I'm doing my tests using ubuntu packages in the intrepid partition and binary installers in the hardy one. Both with the same problem.

Quote:What I'm wondering is if he didn't do it right.
If perhaps he forgot to completely remove the nvidia packaged before installing another driver.

Unfortunately, I'm installing/uninstalling drivers correctly. All three xorg, xbmc and kernel logs report nvidia kernel modules and video drivers at the correct version.

Quote:Possibly even he even has desktop effects enabled which would account for such problems.

No, I'm using metacity ("old" pre-ubuntu gnome user here). Wink
FInally!!! I solved the problem!!

Actually hikaricore's comments lead me to the right solution. Silly me had the compositor in metacity activated. :eek2: Anyways, after disabling it everything played without tearing (had it activated both in intrepid and hardy).

Thanks to everybody that stepped into the thread and helped me!!

PS: Maybe someone can changed the title of the thread to solved or something. It may help others. Regards,

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Tearing problems with 180 nvidia drivers0