Tearing problems with 180 nvidia drivers
You're right about 180.11 being in the repos, this is new to me.

As for 180.22 it is still considered beta, and the entire 180.xx series is plagued with bugs and causes major issue with coolbits overclocking.
So if you have any other troubles you may want to use the 177.xx series
Just one question why use 180? I tried to install the 180 drivers but i couldn't get it to work so i just went with 177 which works perfect btw(haven't tried 1080p yet).
I have the same problem with picture tearing - got last nvidia driver update and Alsa - play 1080 over HDMI with sound on XBMC live installed on a 2G USB stick on a Zotac w/hdmi nForce630i/7100 - all good.
I'm a windows guy and my best Linux skill is copy and paste to ssh - so can u please describe how did u deactivated compositor in metacity ?
I tried gconf but nothing. Thanks.
gillone Wrote:I have the same problem with picture tearing - got last nvidia driver update and Alsa - play 1080 over HDMI with sound on XBMC live installed on a 2G USB stick on a Zotac w/hdmi nForce630i/7100 - all good.
I'm a windows guy and my best Linux skill is copy and paste to ssh - so can u please describe how did u deactivated compositor in metacity ?
I tried gconf but nothing. Thanks.

Hi gillone,

If you're new to linux then I'm sure you haven't got the compositor enabled in metacity (you have to force it to be enabled). Make sure you're using metacity and not compiz. Go to system -> preferences and select none in the visual effects. Maybe that helps...

later,
Funny to post to a year old thread, but just wanted to say Thanks.

I did reinstall my machine with Maverick last weekend and forgot about the Visual Effects to set to None!

I had video tearing quite a bit and just doing that fixed all problems, even with Dharma.

XBMC Team: You may want to put that in your Ubuntu Wiki. I saw a bunch of posts about this problems and people fiddling with Refresh rate and drivers while the solution is much more simple.

Visual Effects to set to None
I got the same problem here.

I figured it out disabling metacity compositing with command:

Quote:$ sudo gconftool-2 -s --type bool /apps/metacity/general/compositing_manager false

And then I changed metacity to compiz:

Quote:

$ sudo gnome-window-decorator & compiz --replace gconf

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Tearing problems with 180 nvidia drivers0