Backing up the state of XBMC
I don't mind helping test newer SVN builds to aid the developers in isolating bugs, but I find that uninstalling/installing XBMC often screws up my library (and I only have one machine on which to test XBMC). Backing up the library is no solution since all the thumbnails and art seem to be lost and irreparable in the process. The only solution I've found is to completely rebuild the library every time, and accordingly go back and tweak all the artwork and thumbs to my liking, which is a rather lengthy and tedious process.

If I could simply back up the state of XBMC, it would make testing different versions a lot less painful for me. What needs to be done? Simply preserving the files in my user directory doesn't seem to be sufficient... Is there something in the global XBMC program directory I should back up as well?

Thanks!
Are you launching using the shortcut?
Hitcher Wrote:Are you launching using the shortcut?
Erm... I'm launching using _a_ shortcut which adds only the -p flag.
So uninstalling removes the USERDATA folder in your Docs & Settings?

I never uninstall XBMC, I just rename the old folder (in case I want to revert back to it) and then install the new version. My USERDATA folder is never touched.
Hitcher Wrote:I never uninstall XBMC, I just rename the old folder (in case I want to revert back to it) and then install the new version. My USERDATA folder is never touched.

I wasn't aware you just install a revision over another... So just back up the local and global userdata folders, and I'm kosher?

Thanks.
If you're launching with the -p flag XBMC will only use the USERDATA folder saved in your Docs. I just rename the XBMC folder (XBMC_old) in case I need it and then install the latest one I get which doesn't do anything to the USERDATA folder.

Uninstalling must delete the Docs-USERDATA folder.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Backing up the state of XBMC0