Long file/folder-names & funny characters support
(redhot @ feb. 12 2004,21:18 Wrote:i'm running into problems with like tv shows and stuff like that
simpsons 05x09 - the last temptation of homer.avi
just to be sure, you know you can stream the files from your win/linux computer, don't you? then there's no hazzle moving files to the xbox, and no naming problems.

really, only reason i can see to move media files to xbox would be if you want to being the files to other locations using the xbox.
/mosax :) ...likes xbmc
or if you want to be able to play movies with the computer off. or if your computer doesn't have much space and your xbox does (assuming you've modded the hdd)...
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

(butcher @ feb. 13 2004,13:19 Wrote:or if you want to be able to play movies with the computer off. or if your computer doesn't have much space and your xbox does (assuming you've modded the hdd)...
nah, those are *not* really legitimate reasons! go 24/7 and buy yourself a couple of hundred gigs for your computer! Image (it's really worth it! :d )
i have 230gb of storage on my computer, i still prefer things on the xbox as it's a lot quieter. Image
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

(butcher @ feb. 13 2004,16:05 Wrote:i have 230gb of storage on my computer, i still prefer things on the xbox as it's a lot quieter. Image
you should keep your computer in your server room, not your living/bedroom. Image
i have a 250 gig in my xbox, then in my comptuer 2x36 gig wd rapors in raid 0, an 80 gig maxtor, a 47 gig ibm drive and another 40 gig westerndigital... so i'm not pressed for harddrive space but i was trying to keep all my media on the xbox. i do understand that you can stream from the computer to the xbox but i have 250 on the xbox so i don't have to Smile
i actually serve my content from a pc. i call it my "media server" 2 x wd250gb se drives... this way i can add multiple xbox's ... one upstairs... one downstairs... each xbmc has access to the same content, one location etc... much better idea in my mind if your looking at adding multiple "clients/xbox's"

serving media via smb works great with 3 xbox's playing xvid's or playing mp3's etc... my cpu load on the media server is less than 10% and my network suffers little to none.

media server
p4 2.0a
xp sp2 beta
asus p4p800
using onboard 3com 1000mb nic

linksys wrt54g wireless broadband router.
100mb fullduplex network

fyi.... wireless b or g is "ok" / "fair" for xvid streaming etc.. for 1 xbox.. but using multiple wireless xboxs, either b or g doesn't provide good enough stream... high signal db as well.. over -65db... less than 50ft to ap from xbox. wireless g also is a real pain when you have 2.4ghz wireless headphones, and a 2.4g wireless panasonic dss cordless phone, and a 2.4g wireless seimens cordless.... plus the neighbours have 2 diff 2.4ghz phones as well..... wifi just works for inet etc... streaming etc.. not the greatest in my enviroment.... would be nice to see qos utilized in a smb connection between the xbox and pc.... qos is built in to xp is the service is installed but it relies on qos aware apps.... it would be good to dedicated a x% of available bw per xbox... etc... hopefully to avoid dropped / loss frames etc...
(mosax @ feb. 13 2004,16:10 Wrote:you should keep your computer in your server room, not your living/bedroom.  Image
my house isn't that big...
besides i like having the pc and xbox close together - makes for easier debugging and such.

(butcher @ feb. 13 2004,17:05 Wrote:i have 230gb of storage on my computer, i still prefer things on the xbox as it's a lot quieter. Image
i, for one, welcome our fatx 2.0 masters.
i had nearly every episode of the simpsons before i modded my box and added a bigger hdd. sadly, it would take a lot of effort to rename all of the files to be compliant with the xbox filesystem. i think a helpful feature would be to add a "translation engine". this would be executed during any type of file transfer (smb copy, ftp, etc...) through xbmc. xbmc would shorten and strip the original file name for the save, but maintain a "filemap.xml" file which retained the original filename. any time a file list were viewed, the filesystem names would be translated back to the non-compliant names.

any thoughts? would this kill performance? surely there's a way to do something like this, but with a more efficient implementation.

openczun
it's been suggested a few times already, by me and a few others. nothing planned at the moment though

oops. apologies for the dupe then.
is there a another solution for this problem. i want to copy al my mp3 from the i tunes directory direct to my xbox but i need to rename every thing. and that is no option at all. i thougt to make a iso off al the mp3 but i can't open this file on the xbox.

does anybody have a solution for this problem ?
this is the prog i use to mass rename files for my xbox

http://www.1-4a.com/rename/download.htm

and it is freeware :thumbsup:
there is always the question of what happens if the files are modified through another program...

i guess the database of filenames would need to detect the file is no longer there and remove the entry from the database...

if this whole map is resident in memory it could grow pretty quickly....

i suggest instead to have a simple file in the same directory as the real files (called something like filename.txt or filename.xml). that is simple enough to be hand editted if need be and is possibly generated on any copy through ftp, dvd, smb (though the auto-generation is optional).....

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Long file/folder-names & funny characters support0