[MAC] XBMC for Front Row?
Lightbulb 
As I would guess most people looking at XBMC for Apple TV will be aware, the Apple TV software and Front Row not only look similar but use much the same software and modules in the Apple TV/Front Row software which are contained in software files called frappliances.

Without having (yet) installed XBMC for ATV, I would therefore presume it's menu option has also been implemented as a frappliance.

Therefore my query is, would it be possible to take this frappliance, and use it in Front Row under Mac OS X Leopard? If this is possible then it would be also possible to end up with Front Row (in Leopard) providing it's standard functions, and listing XBMC via a menu choice, and furthermore, another menu choice to launch Elgato EyeTV (there is already an existing frappliance to launch EyeTV).

One would then end up with full live and recorded TV support along with XBMC (since XBMC itself does not do this).
huh? Huh

My native tong is not English but I don't believe that "frappliance" is a real word, so what you you mean exactly?

Please understand that XBMC Media Center is not a plugin (nor addon) for Front Row (nor the Apple TV version of Front Row).

Checkout http://xbmc.org/about/ and http://xbmc.org/about/vision/ Wink

XBMC is a full stand-alone media center application, it runs nativly on Linux, Mac, and Windows. "XBMC for Apple TV" is actually the full version of XBMC for Mac running in the Apple TV operating-system which is just a stripped down version of Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger), ...so "XBMC for Apple TV" does not run on top nor in Front Row, it runs in parallel with Front Row which just like XBMC runs as a full stand-alone media center application on top of the Apple TV operating-system (again, that is Mac OS X 10.4). The reason that you see "XBMC" (and Boxee) as a menu item in Front Row on the Apple TV is actually just a hack that redirects you to launching the full XBMC (or Boxee) application, ...so once again, XBMC is not a plugin for Front Row.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_TV#Look_and_feel
So while it may look and feel like the Apple TV is only a set-top-box it is actually a complete computer that Apple has implemented some software restrictions on in order to make it more user-friendly for the living-room.

If you own a Intel-based Mac then I suggest that you try running XBMC on top of first, and again understand that the XBMC software that you run there on your Mac is the exact same software that you run under the Apple TV operating-system (which once again is just a stripped down version of Mac OS X 10.4)
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
frappliance is the Apple term for a Frontrow plugin.

I'm thinking about a XBMC launcher for Frontrow running on OSX boxes. Still in the planning stage.

While Frontrow on OSX shares much with Frontrow on the AppleTV, the framework and class structures are different enough to prevent the existing Launcher 0.9/2.3 plugin from working under OSX boxes.
davilla Wrote:frappliance is the Apple term for a Frontrow plugin.

I'm thinking about a XBMC launcher for Frontrow running on OSX boxes. Still in the planning stage.

While Frontrow on OSX shares much with Frontrow on the AppleTV, the framework and class structures are different enough to prevent the existing Launcher 0.9/2.3 plugin from working under OSX boxes.

Perhaps you could PM me if you make any progress on this, and thanks for your efforts in providing an ATV version. I am currently looking on eBay for a secondhand ATV, but a hypothetical Leopard Front Row + XBMC + EyeTV + PyeTV would add Live/Recorded TV and the ability to play physical DVDs (which an ATV cannot).

For the benefit of Gamester17, 'frappliance' would stand for 'Front Row Appliance' with the abbreviation frappliance being used in the relevant file names.

While not the exact desired goal, it is possible to setup an Intel Mac running Mac OS X Tiger, and install a hacked version of the Apple TV software on to it, replacing the standard Tiger version of Front Row see http://www.macgeekblog.com/blog/archive/...ac-21.html I am not sure if the PyeTV frappliance (to link to EyeTV) would work with it though, as you say while similar Front Row and Apple TV are not identical.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[MAC] XBMC for Front Row?0