Audio issue - works in XBMC as an app under XFCE, but not in standalone mode....HELP!
Well, just logged in to XFCE with 'xbmc' user directly and run 'xbmc' in the app mode. The sound works. The speaker test:

xbmc@eagle:~$ speaker-test -D surround51 -c6

works as well......

I'm a bit at a loss. Anyone has any clue?..

As a summary, as of now I do have the latest ALSA driver (1.0.19) installed, running XBMC #17360 with 'pulse-audio' disabled. All sounds work great if run from under the window manager (XFCE), but do NOT work if run in 'standalone' mode.
Well, looks like it's user privileges issues after all.

If XBMC is run in standalone mode as the user I installed Ubuntu with (volenin) (the one with full 'sudo' privileges), all the sound works.

Under the 'system' user ('xbmc') with limited privileges I created specifically to run the XBMC with, the sound only works if the app is run from within the window manager.
Well, it seems like the problem was in the '.asoundrc' file which was in the 'xbmc' user home directory. It had that one line (smth with setting default 'spdif' to pcm or smth like that - unfortunatelly already erased it). I created it following another thread re: solving sound issues (to be correct though, that thread DID mention that the file should be deleted after some apps are run, otherwise that particular setting would interfere with XBMC).

Thanks everyone for the help!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Audio issue - works in XBMC as an app under XFCE, but not in standalone mode....HELP!0