Is XBMC for me?
Hey guys, i've done some reading around the main site, and some in the forums... but i can't really figure out if XBMC will fit the paradigm i want for my media... So here's the "idea/feature list" i need... and would appreciate if someone could help me out by telling me if XBMC will do each of these for me... if so, i'll likely start reading a lot more, but figured it might be quicker to just ask...

The idea is to have a single point of access for MOST of my media...

I have a server which has several TBs of movies/music/photos/podcasts/audiobooks/etc ... I'd like to be able to to the following with it...

1) Access all this media over the web in a streaming format, and have some kind of built in player/portal for web access... i've standardized my whole collection so i don't need a vast array of codec support...

2) Access all this media on my PS3... preferably by having XBMC act as some kind of media server (similar to what media player 11 can do)... optionally by having a client (though this doesn't look like it exists)...

3) Access all this media from any of the computers in my home... i would see this akin to the web client, but perhaps with a more robust rich client...

4 - optional) Manage the collection of media... i am pretty good about organizing things myself, but would be happy to use a tool if i found one that was robust and integrated with the player to make things more recognizable. I've seen some cool things with the album covers and such in XBMC, am thinking this should be achievable.

5 - optional) Have user access credentials with some manner of locking out certain content from certain users... (e.g. don't let the kids account's play R rated movies (which would be either meta data or i could tag the movie))

6 - optional) Kinda similar to 4, but have users be able to UPLOAD content to my server in a restricted manner that i could then approve and add to the collection if neccesary.

so am i looking at completely the wrong project with XBMC, or is most/all of this doable?
Welcome to the forums.

1-3 can be done via upnp. XBMC has both server and client. Just 1 + 3 can be done with smb.

4 can be done by XBMC, though it's possibly easier with one of the tagger apps designed for use with XBMC.

5 - XBMC can use profiles.

6 - Sounds like a fileservers job.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

jmarshall Wrote:Welcome to the forums.

1-3 can be done via upnp. XBMC has both server and client. Just 1 + 3 can be done with smb.

4 can be done by XBMC, though it's possibly easier with one of the tagger apps designed for use with XBMC.

5 - XBMC can use profiles.

6 - Sounds like a fileservers job.

Thank you VERY much for the response... sounds like i'm going to have to start digging into this project Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Is XBMC for me?0