XBMC running on Azbox
Hey guys,
how possible do you think it is, to ever see XBMC on a Azbox TV-Receiver. It's OS is Linux (so i was wondering)... But there are no "PC-like CPUs" in there... they are Sigma Designs SMP8634LF MIPS-CPU 300MHz
(what might make problems ?!?)

I guess the box would be really great cause it has enough power to play mkv files and the other cool thing is "normal" live TV..
For me the user interface is verry important, and so i would wish that i could have covers and backdrops and infos for my movies... this is why i love XBMC so much!!! But a combination of a TV-Receiver and a XBMC-Player would be like an orgasm for me Smile

What do you think? Will it remain just a dream forever? Smile

Nice greetings
yes. even IF it could be ported to run on that cpu it won't have a gfx card capable of handling the gui and all decoding will have to be done via undocumented hw acceleration...
So it's kind of unrealsitic, ha? Sad

Here would be some links:
http://www.azboxhd.info/
and
http://www.azboxhd.info/
I just read that there will be an SDK for the Azbox Smile
This gives me hope... even if the solution won't be XBMC...
We'll see Smile
Hi,

debian is running now... is it possible to run xbmc ?
i hope so...

debian howto

regards
yanardag
Those chips use embedded DSP coprocessors for video decoding, so even if you could install XBMC, you would still be limited to whatever a 300MHz MIPS processor could decode (probably some audio formats and maybe low resolution MPEG1/2).
Even if you can work out hw acceleration, the menu and everything else will still be ran on a 300mhz cpu, which is more than twice as slow as the old xbox.
Get a ION platform Smile
Forgive me please, but I think you guys doesn't have ideia what you're talking about, the azbox HD have a Video Accelerator Hardware, a h264 hardware decoder and a mpeg2 hardware decoder, hdmi output, and yes, it's capable of run xbmc if it could be portable to run on his linux operating system, proof of that is that elisa media center it's running on my azbox HD with enigma2. Think well guys, if xbmc could run on an iphone... why it can run on azbox hd ?

See ya!
acgualbano Wrote:Think well guys, if xbmc could run on an iphone... why it can run on azbox hd ?

An iPhone's CPU is many times faster than the CPU in that box.

XBMC's pretty interface is very resource intensive as you could imagine.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC running on Azbox0