[Apple TV] External Hard Drive Recognition Issues
I searched all over the forum for this, I apologize if it's been answered before but I haven't been able to find anything.

I've got an ATV connecting to a 1TB external drive unlocked with Nito. When I first power up (plugging in ATV and turning on external drive at same time) and go into XBMC the ATV can't see the external drive. When I try and play something it bombs out (too many consecutive failed items). If I turn the drive off and on again and wait a while it picks it up after several minutes. Is there a way to avoid this? I'm setting this up for my parents so I'd like them to be able to just turn the ATV and HD on and have it work from the start.
is the hard drive bus powered via usb or does it have its own power adapter? is connected to a powered/unpowered hub? do you have other items connected to the hub? i have 3 hard drives, mouse/keyboard and a usb tv tuner connected to a powered hub and when booting up, not enough juice gets to one of the hard drives so i have to turn it off and on again to get it up and running because i probably have too much connected to it. all my hard drives have their own power adapter.

if you dont use a hub, but your drive is bus powered, its probably better to use a power adapter if you can.
The drive is powered via it's own power adapter. It is not connected to a bus, it is the only thing plugged into the ATV via USB. The one thing I had considered is that I have the media separated into two folders "Movies" and "TV" with TV further separated by show and season. The Movies folder has roughly 450 movies with no folder separation. Music is stored on the ATV local drive. Could this setup have anything to do with it? I don't think it does as I can't see the external drive under "sources" within xbmc.
Also, I don't think it matters (for this issue) but the drive is FAT32.
Alright, I've got it down to a repeatable process.

1. Start ATV with External drive on
2. Open XBMC
3. Power cycle HD
4. Restart XBMC

Then it works. Before restarting XBMC in step 4 the drive is visable to XBMC but none of the folders are visable. Thoughts?
Bump - Anyone? Would it help if I posted a log? If so let me know which.
I had the same issue, but I figured t out. The atv just needs time to load the whole drive. I filled it up to the max, so it takes a good 6 min. for the drive to show up on my atv. just try waiting it out.
buda81 Wrote:I had the same issue, but I figured t out. The atv just needs time to load the whole drive. I filled it up to the max, so it takes a good 6 min. for the drive to show up on my atv. just try waiting it out.

Thanks, I think that solved it. I still can't fire up the external drive and the ATV at the same time, but if I wait for the ATV to come up and then boot XBMC, wait, turn on the hard drive, wait, it comes up and works well.
mike73737 Wrote:I searched all over the forum for this, I apologize if it's been answered before but I haven't been able to find anything.

I've got an ATV connecting to a 1TB external drive unlocked with Nito....... When I try and play something it bombs out (too many consecutive failed items).

Are these ISO files by any chance - I've been having problems playing ISOs that used to play ok on an earlier beta, see:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=43035

The message you describe is one I occasionally see with these.
SecretSquirrel Wrote:Are these ISO files by any chance - I've been having problems playing ISOs that used to play ok on an earlier beta, see:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=43035

The message you describe is one I occasionally see with these.

Nope, they are .avi's for the most part. I don't have any ISO's on the drive.
mike73737 Wrote:Nope, they are .avi's for the most part. I don't have any ISO's on the drive.

Thanks for reply.

I'm starting to think there may be a problem with the ISOs themselves but I could have sworn they used to play.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Apple TV] External Hard Drive Recognition Issues0