• 1(current)
Win HOW-TO start XBMC in fullscreen on secondary monitor with custom resolution
Star 
Updated 2013-04-17!!!
On latest builds of XBMC you can select witch display to use (if its activated) so you still need a software like UltraMon or other to activate secondary display when XBMC runs. With this guide I tell you how to do it with UltraMon.

However, I just found a way to do all this on Windows 7 without any 3rd party software. I tell you how.

Start by opening notepad, add this (Windows 7)
Quote:@echo off
C:\Windows\System32\DisplaySwitch.exe /extend
start /WAIT xbmc.exe
C:\Windows\System32\DisplaySwitch.exe /external

save it in C:\Program Files (x86)\XBMC as XBMC.bat

Now run it, and this .bat will first switch/activate extended view (activates secondary display) and XBMC will launch on it provided that you set up XBMC to run on secondary display. When you exit XBMC your displays will be restored.

Windows 8

OKAY, so for whatever reason you still need this, this should do it, NOTE that you first have to start XBMC one time on the desired display and set that display in XBMC
then hit alt+F4 (quit) next time you run XBMC with this bat, it should start up on that monitor

OPTION 1

PING -n 11 127.0.0.1>nul
start /WAIT xbmc.exe
C:\Windows\System32\DisplaySwitch.exe /external

OPTION 2

PING -n 11 127.0.0.1>nul
start /WAIT xbmc.exe
C:\Windows\System32\DisplaySwitch.exe /internal

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First off, I would never had figure this out if it wasn't for althekiller, thnx

Quote:
Originally Posted by althekiller View Post
Try setting the environment variable SDL_FULLSCREEN_HEAD=1. I have no damn clue where to do this in that thing microsoft calls an OS that you're running so that's going to take some additional googling on your part.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PLEASE NOTE! Your settings could be lost. And you will have to redo them, one's.
VISTA, UAC USER? If you run Vista and use UAC, Run XBMC as admin the first time when you configure it!
INSTALLATION OF ULTRAMON UNDER WINDOWS 7 Read step (5.)
PROBLEM WITH LAG? Read step (6.)

HOW-TO start XBMC in full screen on secondary monitor with custom resolution

Setup. . .
  • 1. Downloading UltraMon, http://www.realtimesoft.com/ultramon/
  • 2. Make a shortcut to XBMC.exe if you don't already have one. Place it on your desktop (or wherever). Right-click on the shortcut select properties.
    Set the environment variable SDL_FULLSCREEN_HEAD=2 (2 for secondary display) apply and exit...

ex: "C:\Program Files (x86)\XBMC\XBMC.exe" SDL_FULLSCREEN_HEAD=2
  • 3. One's again Right-click on the XBMC shortcut. As you can see UltraMon have added two new tabs, "UltraMon - Display" & "UltraMon - Window"
  • a) Click on "UltraMon - Display" check "use custom settings" choose resolution for "secondary display" ex: 1920*1080 and check as enable.
  • b) Click on "UltraMon - Window" check "use custom settings" show: [normal] on monitor 2 (or whatever display/monitor you like but HEAD="x" must be the same) apply and exit...
  • 4. Launch XBMC, change resolution to AUTO, test resolution. XBMC will automatically choose the highest resolution possible for that display.
  • a) Now select 1080i (this will make the settings stick) and your done!

Troubleshooting. . .
  • (5.) Download UltraMon 3.0.5 Beta or newer. Or do the following.
  • a) Install UltraMon, ignore the errors.
  • b) Run regedit, change these entry's

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Realtime Soft\UltraMon\3.0.4\Window Buttons - Maximize to Desktop Button - change value to 0
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Realtime Soft\UltraMon\3.0.4\Window Buttons - Move Window Button - change value to 0

This should fix it.
  • (6.) This is a Windows problem with some blame on nVIDIA I guess.. You can solve this easy by following these simple steps.
  • a) Right-Click on XBMC.exe, goto "Compatibility"
  • b) Now check, "disable visual themes" "disable desktop composition" "disable display scaling on high DPI settings"
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
There seems to be a problem that cause XBMC not to fill the screen right? Cause of this I don't know but here is plausible solution by gstreet
Quote:Try this:
1. Get UltraMon.
2. Copy your XBMC.exe
3. Right-click where you want your shortcut and press "Paste shortcut"
4. Right-click your new shortcut, select "Properties.
5. In Target, add -fs. Should look like this: "C:\Program Files\XBMC\XBMC.exe" -fs.
6. Press apply and select "UltraMon - Window" tab. Select "Use custom settings" and choose Monitor2, then also select "Centered".
7. Hit "OK", open the shortcut, should now be displayed on your screen of choose.
8. Go to your skins settings and choose wanted resolution.
The Problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem.
Do you understand?
Wink 
Methinks ye means "UltraMon"...
http://www.realtimesoft.com/ultramon/
rnwb Wrote:Methinks ye means "UltraMon"...
http://www.realtimesoft.com/ultramon/

Thank you :p
Do you understand?
thanks for this howto Blackkatt! works great Smile
aussieburger Wrote:thanks for this howto Blackkatt! works great Smile

Your welcome Big Grin
Do you understand?
Thank you very much for the howto and to mension utramon. Great app!

I've run into some problems though. When starting xbmc with my modified shortcut it doesn't fill the screen right. The desktop on the second monitor is correct but as soon as i start xbmc it kinda moves down and to the right abit causing xbmc to look faulty. Really difficult to describe in words and a screenshot doesn't show what a mean. I think the whole desktop floats downwards and to the right on my monitor and thats why the screenshot doesn't show the problem.

Hope you understand roughly what I mean!
Hi,

Well maybe, but it could be a couple of things. If you have a nVIDIA card Try using nVIDIA control panel to correct the desktop on the secondary monitor?
You do this by activating the secondary monitor, then under Resize HDTV desktop (it can be a bit buggy)

tell me if this is your problem?
Do you understand?
Blackkatt Wrote:Hi,

Well maybe, but it could be a couple of things. If you have a nVIDIA card Try using nVIDIA control panel to correct the desktop on the secondary monitor?
You do this by activating the secondary monitor, then under Resize HDTV desktop (it can be a bit buggy)

tell me if this is your problem?

Don't have a nvidia card (ati). I kinda solved the problem, in fact it was just xbmc that got the screenposition wrong, the desktop behind it was correct. Altered the shortcut a bit and found that it was the "SDL_FULLSCREEN_HEAD=1" (my tv is monitor 1) that caused the problems. Removed that and replaced it with "-fs" and checked the center-box under "Ultramon-window" tab made xbmc start in 1080i correctly although not maximized fully. Pressing "\" fixes that.

My question is now, is there any way to work around the "\" routine?

thanks
Heh, your missing the point. SDL_FULLSCREEN_HEAD=1 is needed. Use SDL_FULLSCREEN_HEAD=2 for secondary monitor. And read my guide again Nod
Do you understand?
Blackkatt Wrote:Heh, your missing the point. SDL_FULLSCREEN_HEAD=1 is needed. Use SDL_FULLSCREEN_HEAD=2 for secondary monitor. And read my guide again Nod

Didn't miss it, I just found that that f:ed up XBMC for me =)
Can't grip why I have these problems. Anyone else having similar problems?
Hasselstrom Wrote:Didn't miss it, I just found that that f:ed up XBMC for me =)
Can't grip why I have these problems. Anyone else having similar problems?

If you use -fs instead of SDL_FULLSCREEN_HEAD=2 you will get these problems, there by this guide. Your not doing as the guide say's, no wounder you got problems!
Do you understand?
Got 1 problem: My primary Monitor1 is rotated vertically (90 degrees) and Monitor2 is normal, thus even though XBMC launches to Monitor2, it's restricting XBMC to that vertical ratio. Can't seem to get around it.

Any way to force XBMC to a normal resolution (i.e. 1024 x 768) when it's trying to reverse those numbers?
Hate to be the noob that replies to his own post, but if the shoe fits...

Between adjusting the zoom and calibration settings in System/Appearance, I was able to get the 1024 x 768 monitor2 filled properly. Only problem as of now is that album cover art is streched horizontally.

I would have thought the 'perfect square' in the calibration screen would have taken care of that.
curtis-r Wrote:Hate to be the noob that replies to his own post, but if the shoe fits...

Between adjusting the zoom and calibration settings in System/Appearance, I was able to get the 1024 x 768 monitor2 filled properly. Only problem as of now is that album cover art is streched horizontally.

I would have thought the 'perfect square' in the calibration screen would have taken care of that.

Hehe sounds complicated Rofl

But to get XBMC to run at specific resolution you need to have the same resolution on the monitor2 ex:1024x768 as in settings in XBMC ex 1024x768. Don't know about the cover art, maybe you got the wrong "viewing"? or XBMC is not fit for that low res? don't really know atm.

I'm curios why would you have monitor1 rotated vertically (90 degrees) Eek?
Do you understand?
Blackkatt Wrote:But to get XBMC to run at specific resolution you need to have the same resolution on the monitor2 ex:1024x768 as in settings in XBMC ex 1024x768.

I'm curios why would you have monitor1 rotated vertically (90 degrees) Eek?

I'm using the same PC to run my MAME (gaming sysem) on monitor1, rotated 90 degrees like classic video game monitors were. Monitor2 is for XBMC. Monitor1 is 900 x 1440, monitor2 is 1024 x 768. Though Ultramon launches XBMC to monitor2, XBMC seems to still think it's on the 900 x 1440 monitor and thus the resolution choices are of that nature.
  • 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW-TO start XBMC in fullscreen on secondary monitor with custom resolution4