Problems with advancedsettings.xml
tmternes.

I am sorry if I offended you.
But sometimes you get frustrated with trying to help people over the internet that a) do not listen b) are not willing to do any creative thinking by themselves and just want to be spoonfed.
I am not saying it applies to you, BUT.
"I will not be able to use either of those as I only have movies." is not a valid response to someone that is going out of their way trying to help you.

How hard would it be to add an album or two to the music section to verify if the advanced settings file works for you at all?
Or a dummy TV show directory that you can remove after testing is done?

Your reply suggests to me that you are not willing to put any work into it from your end and want me to do all the work for you.
That is simply unacceptable for a free open source application supported by volunteers.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Your comments are warranted, to a point.

I have, and always have, been willing to learn on my own. However, sometimes, people do need to be spoon fed to get them started.

For an example, in the last 2 weeks, I have directed 7 people to XBMC for use with their Apple TV's. I spent 15 minutes with them (which took me several days), got them started on the basics (how to add a NAS as a source, how to do proper setup, how to download the database, how to change cover art, etc. etc.). All in about 15 minutes.

The result: 7 people who would not of otherwise even looked at XBMC, are now raving about it. They will now tell other people.

I do realize that this sort of guidance is impossible on a forum, and not even expected, but my point is this: sometimes a little bit of spoon feeding is necessary.

I train my new employees to custom program remote controls using bitmaps, macros, and designing templates. It is unrealistic for me to expect a novice user to simply open up the manual and get it. Instead I spoon feed for the first little bit, give them the confidence to leave the nest, and watch them fly.

This is just my way. I DO like helping people, and I like the excitement it brings them when they "get it", regardless whether it is free, open source, or they paid.

I would urge somebody in the wiki management to get a hold of a novice user and have them read it, and see how many come back with a crazy look on their face. Their is TONS of info, but a lot of it is not intuitive.

Just one novices point of you. And from the hundreds of posts I have read, I am not alone.

Thanks for listening.
We've asked, and asked, and asked, and asked.

Noone wants to contribute to the manual other than experience users.

And they generally only do it so they don't have to answer the same questions over and over again.

Simple as that.

If you want to do it, then ask for ninja status on the wiki, and edit away to your hearts content. We're more than happy to sit down and read through what you've written, or to get together on IRC and chat about specific questions so that you can ensure you have all you need to write a manual entry. What we're not prepared to do is do it all for you Smile

Cheers,
Jonathan
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

tmternes Wrote:I would urge somebody in the wiki management to get a hold of a novice user and have them read it, and see how many come back with a crazy look on their face. Their is TONS of info, but a lot of it is not intuitive.
If you only knew how often I have asked for criticism, comments and/or feedback on specific parts of the manual and how often I have even been dignified with a response.

Jonathan, since you are on this. Does the debug log show if advancedsettings is being loaded at all?
Yes it does.

In that case, where is the debug log? (which btw is mandatory for any report/request around here).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Problems with advancedsettings.xml0