Family/Home Videos
After reading the thread started by theophile (here) I got thinking about my setup. Plus the wife asked me about this last night. (Funny how another thread got started around the same time.)

Anyways, currently the way the wife and I store our family videos/pictures is simply by dumping the contents off the SD card from the camera to a folder (ex: Winter 2009) in this folder we store mostly pictures but there might be a few videos from the camera as well. I first thought this would be a simple matter of adding a few extensions to the pictures section of the advancedsettings.xml file like so:

<pictureextensions>
<add>.mov|.avi</add>
</pictureextensions>

This allowed the videos to be listed in the picture library and even created thumbnails for them but they where unable to play. I'm not a dev but I believe XBMC was trying to open these items as they where a picture not a video. Note: I was trying to use the picture library as I wanted the family videos separate from the "movies" library.

I understand the picture library was most likely never designed for this but I just had to try it. My idea is this:

1) Make a mixed library for misc items. (I would use this for family videos and pictures)

2) Allow XBMC to open an item based off it's extension/file type.

Keep in mind this are just my ideas, I don't know if they will work for XBMC. As aways, thanks for this awesome software. Smile
Anyone have input on this? yay/nah?
I just did a search of my pictures folder on my computer for any type of movie file and then moved them to a "Home Movies" folder
joebrady Wrote:I just did a search of my pictures folder on my computer for any type of movie file and then moved them to a "Home Movies" folder

Thanks for your input, I'm currently doing the same thing and it's an OK solution. My ideal solution would be home pictures and videos in the same source. Why?

Example:
Lets say I took a bunch of pictures of a snow storm and just happened to take videos of the same storm. Currently, I go into the picture library and view the pictures and IF I remember there are video(s) of the same thing I'm looking at I then back out of pictures, go into the video library and find them. Then I have to go back into pictures to view the rest of them.

So, if the pictures and videos where in the same source I could go into a folder ex: winter storm 2009 and view both. Big Grin
I agree, I would like that funcionality also, but that was just my workaround. It helps if you name the folder the same as the one the pictures are in.
I personally think it makes sense to leave home videos mostly separate from the picture section....Afterall, they are videos and not pictures.

That said, I think it would make a lot of sense once picture library functionality is added to have the ability to link videos to certain folders or series of pictures much in the same way you can currently link movies to related TV shows. This way, the related videos would show up in the folder with the pictures and...well, you get the idea. However, this would probably also necessitate some sort of "Home Videos" section of the video library, but that would be a good idea anyway in the long run, even if it does nothing more than display a simulated file view, just making them available in library mode. People really serious about cataloging home videos could probably add nfo files for the videos.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Family/Home Videos0