Simple remote control friendly skin/interface
Star 
A thread for discussion of http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=38424. I use the Antec Veris Basic Remote with XBMC and I'd like to control all of the functions of XBMC with the minimum of buttons. At the moment that's not possible with, some issues are skin-specific but others have to do with XBMC coding limitations. This post is to discuss what needs to be done to streamline the XBMC remote experience. What I'd like to aim for is a consistent intuitive interface that can be accessed with 7 buttons. Four directions, Select, Menu and Back.

1. A unified "Back" Button. Backspace goes back a level while browsing video/music libraries while Escape will take you all the way back to the previous window. Using escape as a back button isn't intuitive but Backspace won't close context menus, or take you out of the various settings windows.

2. Option for skinning where selecting items in video library will open the video info window instead of playing.

3. activatewindow(musiclibrary,albums,return) consistent with activatewindow(videolibrary,albums,return) http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/5697

Any info or opinions?
I just stumbled on this thread, and I believe this feature seriously deserves consideration.

While there are lots of interesting ideas in this feature request forum, I believe that most cater to the specific types of users that would post in this forum.

I live in a house with a bunch of non-techies. To them, almost none of the requests on the front page of this forum would even make sense, let alone be desirable. Simplifying the interface to allow front-row-like remote navigation, however, would make XBMC much easier for them to use and far more accessible.

If XBMC is to become more widely used, my girlfriend needs to be able to quickly navigate through the menus and put something on, without being confused by multiple back buttons and contextual menus. This seems like it should be a priority over the many interesting feature requests that ultimately are only accessible to the technologically adept.
Back and Escape have had the same function for quite some time now. Works like a charm.
DarkHelmet Wrote:Back and Escape have had the same function for quite some time now. Works like a charm.

Not true, back and escape do totally different things. Esc exits to the main menu and Back goes up one folder level.
Yeah, I'm not sure what build you're using DarkHelmet, but backspace and esc have entirely different roles. Sometimes those roles are even switched, such as when the "Now Playing" playlist screen is up, backspace does nothing and esc returns to the previously viewed menu, not the main menu.

Beyond that, having Tab set to switch between the video and the menu is completely counter-intuitive. Pressing esc while video is playing or paused brings up a selection menu that (on the skins I've tried) doesn't have a way to return to the main menu.

When somebody who doesn't know how to use XBMC tries to use my MCE remote to change what's playing, they usually end up with the button menu obscuring the screen, the aspect ratio changed to something random, and a serious feeling of frustration.

I guess I could map "activate main menu" to the windows button on my MCE instead of escape, but then the problem of two back buttons arises, and I'd have to map something else as esc in order to initiate the OSD control menu.

The way this should be handled is through a single OSD control/context menu that appears when the video is paused or the SINGLE back button is pressed. This menu should have all available options/views, instead of relying on a combination of context menus, digital and physical buttons. A "Return to Menu" option would alleviate the need for the Tab key, and in the menu pressing OK/enter should bring up the contextual menu instead of immediately playing the selection. A contextual menu is far more remote friendly than having a different button for playing, viewing info and adding to playlists. Pressing OK/enter while in video mode should do nothing. (Or, like the Apple TV/Front Row, OK/enter and play/pause are identical.)

I understand that a lot of these functions can be achieved through custom keymapping, but I feel that changing the default behavior would make XBMC far more accessible.
I totally agree to this.
For a first time user, the behaviour of esc and backspace is very confusing.

Took me a while to get used to it, and now I come along quite well with it, but I know many people who would encounter serious problems figuring out (and remembering) which of the 2 will do what they want.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Simple remote control friendly skin/interface0