Automatic playlist with similar files in directory
Hi,

Most standalone video players has this function and I thought XBMC had it too, but I was wrong, so, I'm suggesting it...

I suppose this is not the case when using the Video Library because all movies and TV Shows will be organized, but for people that don't use the Video Library and other sorts of videos other than Movies/TV Shows can also benefit from this.

Let's say we have a bunch of files with the same exact name in a specific directory, they only differ in a number, stating which file it is, or episode, chapter, anything, something like:

Family.Vacation.E01.The.Hotel.avi
Family.Vacation.E02.The.Rooms.avi
Family.Vacation.E03.The.Pool.avi
Family.Vacation.E04.The.Bar.avi
Family.Vacation.E05.The.City.avi

Ok, you get the picture...

I could play all these in a row, if I go to the parent folder and press "Play" with the folder holding these files select. But what if I already watched E01 and E02 and I want to watch the other 3, one after the other?

Current solutions are:
1) Picking the remote after each video and start playing the next note.
2) Add 3 items to the now playing list.

Suggestion for new solution:
Select E03 and press play, that's it. The next files should automatically be played one after the other. Actually, the best solution would be to add all files in the directory to a temporary now playing list (temporary so that the actual now playing list doesn't get messed up) and it should start playing by E03 because it was the select file. This way, we could use previous and next buttons to switch to different videos.

What do you guys think?
Nobody finds this useful?
if anyone wants to play with this, it would just be a matter of extending the 'automatically play next item' from music to video, i.e. add an analogue to mymusic.autoplaynextitem and use that properly in CGUIViewStateVideo::AutoPlayNextItem()
Too bad my knowledge of C++ is nowhere near the necessary to help on this :/

Maybe someone can step in...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Automatic playlist with similar files in directory0