Hardware advice for htpc
I've just installed xbmc and hooked up my windows machine to my TV
its a pretty basic setup integrated graphics and sound, 2.5 ghz processor and 1gig of ram
it was meant for just a file server but because of budget limits its now displaying on the tv

i'm surprised at how well xbmc's menus ran on it but with hd video often seems unable to render the whole frame in one and you get lines across the sceen

what hardware should i upgrade first to help with this?
msaspence Wrote:I've just installed xbmc and hooked up my windows machine to my TV
its a pretty basic setup integrated graphics and sound, 2.5 ghz processor and 1gig of ram
it was meant for just a file server but because of budget limits its now displaying on the tv

i'm surprised at how well xbmc's menus ran on it but with hd video often seems unable to render the whole frame in one and you get lines across the sceen

what hardware should i upgrade first to help with this?

We'll need more details on the current system.

Which CPU and motherboard do you have, specifically?
sorry tell you a lie its not even a 2.5, i've just checked and its a 1.8 ghz Celeron ®
on a MSI 945GCM7-F i945GC Socket 775 onboard VGA 6 channel audio mATX Motherboard
I looks like your motherboard will support a C2D. I would upgrade the CPU first if your on a tight budget.
If the lines are horizontal check the vsync setting in xbmc,
There was a post here today on vsync issue possible workaround on intel graphics chipset on this exact forum not long before your post take a look sorry I can't copy the link for you. Sad

Nick
for some reason my xbmc is not playing mkvs
it plays avi's fine
but mkvs it'll play the first few seconds of audio (no video) and then skip on the audio

any ideas why?
how should i debug (where can i find logs etc)?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Hardware advice for htpc0